News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US AAA credit rating downgraded

Started by Richard Hakluyt, August 05, 2011, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2011, 06:12:22 PM
I am with Yi. I think without the brinksmanship our overall situation in regards to the debt mess would be worse, not better.

Well, next time your boys can burn the house down completely with a full-on default and you'll be ecstatic.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

dps

Quote from: Legbiter on August 06, 2011, 05:54:33 PM

So...none of the Rebublican posters have any issues with which your party has conducted itself?

Really?

Who here actually identifies as a Republican?  Derspiess, Strix, and Garbon--and I'm not too sure about the first 2.

Berkut

Quote from: Legbiter on August 06, 2011, 06:19:54 PM
I am with Yi. I think without the brinksmanship our overall situation in regards to the debt mess would be worse, not better.

Well, next time your boys can burn the house down completely with a full-on default and you'll be ecstatic.

What are you babbling about?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 06, 2011, 07:07:00 PM
Who here actually identifies as a Republican?  Derspiess, Strix, and Garbon--and I'm not too sure about the first 2.

Yeah although mine's more an affectation as I've always voted as a social liberal on ballot measures and I've always lived in places where voting Republican is little more than a protest measure. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2011, 07:09:20 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on August 06, 2011, 06:19:54 PM

What are you babbling about?

I mean, look who it is. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 06, 2011, 04:55:23 PM
Obama supported the Simpson deficit reduction plan before then, no?

All I heard from Obama after the Simpson Boyles report came out was that deficit reduction was a very important task but that in the short term the recovery was too fragile for any reductions in spending, although making millionaires and billionares pay their fair share would have the benefit of reducing the deficit.  Then Obama's last important legislative act before the GOP grabbed the majority in the House was to push through an extension of the Bush tax cuts, an extension of unemployment benefits to 99 weeks, and (I think) an extension of the payroll tax reduction.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2011, 04:56:08 PM
Standard and Poor.

6.2 billion over ten years.  Would S&P have found that adequate?

Trillion, not billion.  I'm guessing they would have found it considerably more adequate than 2 trillion.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2011, 07:15:35 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 06, 2011, 04:55:23 PM
Obama supported the Simpson deficit reduction plan before then, no?

All I heard from Obama after the Simpson Boyles report came out was that deficit reduction was a very important task but that in the short term the recovery was too fragile for any reductions in spending, although making millionaires and billionares pay their fair share would have the benefit of reducing the deficit.  Then Obama's last important legislative act before the GOP grabbed the majority in the House was to push through an extension of the Bush tax cuts, an extension of unemployment benefits to 99 weeks, and (I think) an extension of the payroll tax reduction.

And given your comments, those are tax cuts the Republicans want eliminated to pay for the deficit, right?

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

So...none of the Rebublican posters have any issues with which your party has conducted itself?

Really?

I am technically still a Republican by virtue of the fuckups at the Johnston County auditor's office who failed to process my request for a change of party from Republican to Independent.

And I have issues with the way Republicans have conducted themselves.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 06, 2011, 07:19:58 PM
And given your comments, those are tax cuts the Republicans want eliminated to pay for the deficit, right?

And what the fuck does that have to do with Obama's support for deficit reduction?

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2011, 07:20:39 PM

With your attitude that we can solve all our problems by just taxing "the rich" enough being reflective of the anti-TP retards in the Dem party, I am pretty certain I am correct in my assessment of the odds that the Dems would have pushed through any actual spending reductions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on August 06, 2011, 07:07:00 PM

Really?

We've always had Crypto-Republicans.  Sometimes they call themselves Libertarians, sometimes they call themselves moderates, sometimes rationally non-partisan. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2011, 07:17:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2011, 04:56:08 PM
Standard and Poor.

6.2 billion over ten years.  Would S&P have found that adequate?

Trillion, not billion.  I'm guessing they would have found it considerably more adequate than 2 trillion.

Adequate enough to avoid the downgrade?  Do you honestly believe that Congress will hold through with a budget plan that goes to 2030 (when the plan projects a balanced budget).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2011, 07:37:43 PM
Adequate enough to avoid the downgrade?  Do you honestly believe that Congress will hold through with a budget plan that goes to 2030 (when the plan projects a balanced budget).

Let me give the boys at S&P a quick call to see if 6.2 would have been enough.  Or you could do it yourself.

How the fuck am I supposed to know Raz?

Not sure I understand the logic behind the second question.  No, we can't guarantee that future Congresses will not undo everything that has been done.  They could increase monthly Social Security payments to a billion dollars a person and reduce taxes to minus infinity plus two.