Main Menu

Israel seeks alliance with Gays vs. Iran

Started by Martinus, April 21, 2009, 05:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteApril 20, 2009
Israel to Recruit Gay Community in Anti-Iran Campaign
By Julie Bolcer
Israel plans outreach to groups including the international gay community as part of its ramped-up public-relations effort against Iran, reports the newspaper Haaretz.

"We have to lay the foundation in the world, and particularly in Europe, in order to be able to take harsher steps against Iran, especially in the economic sector," said a senior political source in Jerusalem.

The strategy of the new campaign, which will be managed by the foreign ministry, is to reach people who are more concerned about Iran's human rights abuses than its nuclear aspirations. Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (pictured) famously announced in 2007 that there were no homosexuals in Iran, and international human rights organizations have reported hundreds of executions of gay men and lesbians in the country.

The campaign arrives at a time when the United States and Europe appear apt to negotiate with Iran over its nuclear program -- a diplomatic approach that Israeli officials believe is bound to fail.

About $2 million has already been budgeted on the campaign, which includes enhanced use of Internet tools such as YouTube and increased briefings for foreign journalists on the Iranian nuclear program. Other targeted audiences include Jewish groups concerned about Ahmadinejad's denial of the Holocaust.

Ahmadinejad is a headline speaker at the United Nations conference on racism that begins today in Switzerland. Israel, the United States, and several major allies are boycotting the conference.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid79597.asp

I see this as only natural - we already share an alliance with :jooos: to bring down the Catholic Church, after all. ^_^

Martinus

The world will revolve around the Tel Aviv - San Francisco axis. :shifty: :perv:

CountDeMoney

Jews and gays!  Two great tastes that go great together!

Neil

Good.  Now when Iran nukes Israel, I won't even care.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Sounds like sensible PR to me.  I'd also target unions.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2009, 05:48:19 PM
What do gays have against unions?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Was this in response to Neil's post about nuking Israel? :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2009, 05:56:28 PM
No, but Iran's really very anti-union and very anti-working class.  I think Israel should publicise that to the unions in the west and should generally be supporting more awareness of just how bad Iran's human rights record is.  I don' think most people know.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2009, 05:35:42 PM
The world will revolve around the Tel Aviv - San Francisco axis. :shifty: :perv:

What exactly do you know about either of them? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2009, 06:09:04 PM
No, but Iran's really very anti-union and very anti-working class.  I think Israel should publicise that to the unions in the west and should generally be supporting more awareness of just how bad Iran's human rights record is.  I don' think most people know.
Aren't most unions generally anti-American as a matter of faith?

saskganesh

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2009, 06:09:04 PM
they'd lose a lot of right wing support if they did. of course, some of the left would then backflip out of preferring hamas, but not enough to stop the bleeding.
humans were created in their own image

Tamas

Come on people, no working class protective crap will ever beat antisemitism, especially since working class is the most anti-semite in general.

Siege

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2009, 07:27:48 PM
Come on people, no working class protective crap will ever beat antisemitism, especially since working class is the most anti-semite in general.

True.

Look at Neil.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2009, 05:41:19 PM
Jews and gays!  Two great tastes that go great together!

Historically, jews in the diaspora have sided with minorities, especially the ashkenazi.
Their security is in the tolerance of minorities.
The sefaradim were somewhat an exeption, since we prefered to buy/gain the support of the ruling class of whatever country we were in.

Israelis generally don't relate to this feeling the diaspora jews have, though.
We see ourselves as a nation, with the rule of the majority.
It took me a while to adapt me to the feeling of being part of a minority here in the States.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"