What's your country's "national" specialty that is mostly exported?

Started by Martinus, August 03, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Is there any specialty (whether food, or a drink or some other similar product) that is considered worldwide to be your country specialty, but is not that popular among the locals?

In Poland, over the last two decades vodka has become such thing. Poles do not drink it that much any more - most prefer beer or wine, and if we want to go for something harder, tequila seems just as a popular choice. Yet, if you go abroad, you are being asked to bring a bottle of vodka or half a dozen. :P

Richard Hakluyt

For the UK it is probably intelligence. British expats get up to all sorts of exciting projects abroad but here in Blighty itself things are resolutely dumb and second-rate.

The Larch

Paella and flamenco, unless you are in Valencia or AndalucĂ­a.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Well, you Euros seem to pay way more attention to Glenn Beck than the average American does...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 03, 2011, 05:31:34 PM
Well, you Euros seem to pay way more attention to Glenn Beck than the average American does...
The problem is that below-average Americans pay a lot of attention to Glenn Beck.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Celine Dion. She's just a warning. Piss off for real, do it. You'll regret it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

McDonald's.  I see lots of people at the ones overseas, but hardly see anyone going there here in America.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 03, 2011, 06:22:34 PM
McDonald's.  I see lots of people at the ones overseas, but hardly see anyone going there here in America.
I see them here.  It's almost impossible to not see them.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 03, 2011, 06:22:34 PM

Don't really care for McDonald's myself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017