Gay marriage: awkward issue for some GOP hopefuls

Started by garbon, August 01, 2011, 09:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 01, 2011, 03:35:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2011, 12:00:11 PM
Defending the states' rights to legalise it or not, but supporting a Federal amendment banning it.   :lol: Awesome OH HOW CUNNING

The amendment has to be ratified by the states. :contract:

Uh, so?

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2011, 11:53:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2011, 11:33:39 AM
QuoteBoth Bachmann and Texas Gov. Rick Perry — a possible contender — have said they respect the rights of individual states to legalize same-sex marriage, yet both also say they would support an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would define marriage nationally as limited to heterosexual couples.
:wacko:

I guess they figure such a ridiculous position is alright since such an amendment would never be adopted anyway.
I don't understand how they are defending states' rights by supporting a federal amendment.
Their position is that the states have whatever rights that they are given.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on August 01, 2011, 05:10:23 PM

Which really isn't a states' rights position.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2011, 06:03:13 PM

Neil is such a statist he gets confused with federal/state sometimes :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2011, 12:00:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2011, 11:53:20 AM
I don't understand how they are defending states' rights by supporting a federal amendment.

Defending the states' rights to legalise it or not, but supporting a Federal amendment banning it.   :lol: Awesome OH HOW CUNNING

They'll get away with it too.  GOP voters have become so unplugged from reality they won't even notice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2011, 06:03:13 PM

Depends on how you look at it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.