And we're back!

Main Menu

HFS is back. Sorta.

Started by CountDeMoney, August 01, 2011, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteAs HFS returns to Baltimore airwaves, other stations rip new CBS version
Programmers at 98 Rock, WTMD question signal and link to legacy

A legendary set of call letters returned to the Baltimore airwaves Monday when CBS radio launched alternative rock station HFS at 97.5 on the FM dial.

But competitors, like Dave Hill, the head of programming at 98 Rock (97.9 FM), dismissed the new HFS as a sorry imitation of the landmark rock station that in the 1970s and early '80s built a passionate following with its progressive, free-form programming. The HFS identity expanded in the 1990s with the annual HFStivals music fests.

CBS is describing the latest incarnation of HFS as "the alternative rock music Baltimore grew up with and personalities who made it popular."

Station personalities include Tim Virgin, Gina Crash, Jenn Marin, Chris Emery and Neci playing music from Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, Incubus and Green Day.

"This is built for the 40-year-old male that remembers HFS in the '90s," said Dave Labrozzi, vice president of programming for CBS Radio Baltimore.

"The station is going to built around the music that made HFS what it was," Labrozzi added. "To HFS's credit, they broke a lot of these bands, and they were really the forerunner in this format in the mid-'90s. And so, we're going to play all that stuff, and bring it all back, because nobody in Baltimore's been playing it."

Describing the new HFS as a "strategically placed radio station that's going to be a competitor to 98 Rock," Labrozzi described the target audience as "anybody above 35 that loves alternative music."

But Hill responded by saying, "I think the real story here is that CBS continues to abuse the legendary call letters of HFS."

Predicting failure for the station, Hill added, "So, now they're going to put it on this transmitter that nobody can hear, and when it miserably doesn't work in two years, they'll forfeit it begrudgingly ... and once again, these legendary call letters will have been abused."

In January of 2005, some HFS fans were startled and angered when the station abruptly switched format to Latin music and was rebranded "El Zol" overnight.

Steve Yasko, general manager of WTMD, the adult alternative station at Towson University, also questioned the strength of the HFS signal and whether the station CBS introduced Monday was in any way worthy of the rich legacy the call letters carry.

He said that one of the personalities most associated with the HFS glory years, Jonathan "Weasel" Gilbert, appears on his station not the new HFS.

After listening to HFS Monday, Yasko said, "I didn't find it to be anything that resembled the real root of WHFS with Weasel and Damian [Einstein].... The real root of WHFS is musical discovery, it's ferreting and finding out those artists that are new and interesting and have something to say. And what I heard is commercial radio."

Labrozzi said the station's transmitter is approximately 1,000 feet high and 250 watts strong with a signal that "covers" the Baltimore metro area.

Sounds like: Lithium with commercials.

derspiess

I miss 98 Rock.   And Y100 in Philly :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 11:30:12 PM
I miss 98 Rock.   And Y100 in Philly :mellow:

Y100's gone.  It's a rap station now.  The only rock-centric stations left in the Philly area are WMMR, WYSP, and WMGK (depending on your range, there's also WZXL in Wildwood).  There are a bunch of pop rock "easy listening" stations like B101, but I don't count them.
Experience bij!

katmai

Y100 was based out of media, pa.

They were like 1 mile from where i lived.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Is "Lithium with commercials" such a bad thing?  I like Lithium.

Although a "First Wave with commercials" - now that would have my undying adoration. :wub:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on August 01, 2011, 11:41:37 PM

I said the Philly area, dammit. :P
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 01, 2011, 11:39:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 11:30:12 PM
I miss 98 Rock.   And Y100 in Philly :mellow:

Y100's gone.  It's a rap station now.  The only rock-centric stations left in the Philly area are WMMR, WYSP, and WMGK (depending on your range, there's also WZXL in Wildwood).  There are a bunch of pop rock "easy listening" stations like B101, but I don't count them.

WTF.  The same thing happened with WDRE in the late 90s.  That sucks.

Great, now I can't stop thinking about how awesome WDRE was.  They had the perfect mix of alternative/indy/local. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 01, 2011, 11:48:09 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 01, 2011, 11:41:37 PM

I said the Philly area, dammit. :P

It was a Philly station, regardless of where they actually broadcast from.

katmai

Yeah i wasn't claiming it wasn't Philly, just saying their actual studios were just down road from me, passed it everyday.
and was sad to hear when it went under.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on August 01, 2011, 11:54:30 PM
Yeah i wasn't claiming it wasn't Philly, just saying their actual studios were just down road from me, passed it everyday.
and was sad to hear when it went under.

Ah, gotcha.  My bad.  But yeah, it was a blow; Y100 was one of my favorite sources for alternative rock.
Experience bij!

derspiess

I guess in a way it does make me feel a little better about being here in Cincy with nothing comparable to Y100.  There were several good stations when I used to visit my my brother here in the 90s, but now the only consistently listenable music station plays classic rock.

There are some good AM stations here, for what that's worth.

katmai

Only one station is passable here in town, and i listen to that as have friend who is dj when not on road touring.