News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Northern Exposure

Started by Admiral Yi, July 31, 2011, 08:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I've got some time off and a couple ducats to spend, was giving some thought to a road trip up to Minnesoooota.  One of my karaoke bartenders is from Minesooota and he said if I want the full-on "yeah, sure, you betcha" Fargo experience, I need to head all the way up to Duluth and the Iron Hills.  I was entertaining the notion of tacking on a cross border jaunt to Canuckistan (International Falls is supposed to be close) but the little info I have says it's a paper mill town.  :yuk:

So how much of a drive would it be up to wherever Beeb and Neil are?  Or alternatively, is there some reasonable Canadian burg not too far from Duluth?

Neil

You're looking at about a 2,000 km drive from Duluth to Edmonton.  Winnipeg is much, much closer.  You could visit the new Jets arena, buy some Jets merchandize, talk to some Jets fans that aren't BB, and get robbed by Indians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

:lol:  Paper mill it is then.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Duluth is pretty ugly.  Not recommended.

Iron Hills?  Never been.  Looks like it is central Minnesota.  Should be very pretty scenery if you're into that.  For the "Fargo" experience that sounds about right for where to go.

Edmonton is 20 hours from there.  Would love to have you out here, but I doubt it that you'd come all that way.

Winnipeg could be an option just to say you've been.  It's a decent town with things to see, though it's not ordinarily a major tourist destination.  If you're thinking about going there I could make some non-Jets recommendations (though to be honest right about now I'm only middle of the road when it comes to Jets homerism in Winnipeg).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

honestly, i don't know what you could do in the area aside from spend long hours and distances in the car staring at scenery. i've not really interacted much with locals in the savagelands, but obviously fargo is a movie that exaggerations some. the old folk might provide what you're looking for; they're most likely to throw out the 'betchas and uff-das. otherwise the people are pretty "normal" and (i suppose) bland. i guess if what you want is a land with different accent, where the Os are stressed, then you mightn't be disappointed.

note- while i've lived in "the area" for most of my life, i've never trekked beyond the fargo->minneapolis, fargo->minot route.

Jacob

I've driven through Thunder Bay a couple of times, but that's about it. I imagine you can get some donuts, and I expect they'll have karaoke somewhere. There'll definitely be some beer, and probably a peeler joint or four. As long as you don't go in the middle of winter, it'll probably rate as an "experience" at the very least.

Personally, I'll be nowhere near (whether you rate that as a plus or a minus)... you'll have to come to Vancouver for that experience.

Admiral Yi

Which side of the border is Thunder Bay on?

katmai

Jacob

It's in Canada.

Basically, if you follow the road along Lake Superior, it's the closest Canadian town of any size to Duluth.

Admiral Yi

I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go. Taxi's waiting outside my door.

You guys figure most/all places in Thunder Bay will take greenbacks, or should I change some dough?

Will be hors d'interweb for a week or so.  Say only nice things about me while I'm gone.

Neil

It's probably worthwhile to change some money.  Even before the US dollar became less valuable, local businesses have made a tradition of accepting the US dollar at extremely unfavourable exchange rates.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Yeah those Canucks are an unscrupulous lot

Neil

You can hardly blame them.  The remoteness and isolation of Canada means that things are so expensive up here compared to down there.  I guess they figure that Americans deserve punishment, as if living in the US isn't punishment enough.