News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most overrated WW2 commander

Started by Threviel, July 28, 2011, 02:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the most overrated commander of WW2?

Rommel
9 (17.3%)
von Manstein
0 (0%)
Guderian
0 (0%)
von Rundstedt
1 (1.9%)
Kesselring
0 (0%)
Montgomery
11 (21.2%)
Slim
0 (0%)
Auchinleck
0 (0%)
Bomber Harris
1 (1.9%)
Cunningham
0 (0%)
de Gaulle
2 (3.8%)
Eisenhower
0 (0%)
MacArthur
7 (13.5%)
Patton
11 (21.2%)
Nimitz
1 (1.9%)
Halsey
0 (0%)
Zhukov
5 (9.6%)
Rokossovsky
0 (0%)
Konev
0 (0%)
Vasilevsky
0 (0%)
Timoshenko
0 (0%)
Chiang Kai-Chek
0 (0%)
Mao
2 (3.8%)
Tito
0 (0%)
Yamashita
0 (0%)
Yamamoto
0 (0%)
Nagumo
0 (0%)
Mannerheim
0 (0%)
Jaron/other
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 29, 2011, 07:20:30 AM
lol, Canadians think they are important.
No more timbits for you!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2011, 09:39:46 AM
So let me get this straight-- Canuckleheads here are complaining that we're neglecting Canada's role in WWII by not listing one of their generals as a choice for "most overrated"?  :lol:
patriotism is weird that way :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on July 29, 2011, 01:36:08 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2011, 09:00:08 PM
The lines had already been drawn.
Drawing lines without creating facts on the ground would hardly have convinced Stalin to uphold his end of the bargain.

Allied Armies reached the Elbe before Stalin anyway, going any further would have meant taking ground that had to be given to the Soviets in the end.  And Stalin did ultimately agree to the partition of Eastern Europe.  For instance he did not intervene in the Greek Civil War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

All I'm saying is that no modern war gets anywhere without Canadian involvement.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2011, 10:11:31 AM
All I'm saying is that no modern war gets anywhere without Canadian involvement.

Are you suggesting that Canada should ally with China and Russia then?

Grey Fox

I wasn't but it might be a good idea. For them. If they want to win.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2011, 10:59:01 AM
I wasn't but it might be a good idea. For them. If they want to win.

You're with us or you're against us.  Join us in the fight or we will invade, a la Fallout.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Quote from: Warspite on July 29, 2011, 09:48:42 AM
More people know who Tito was than would know any Canadian general, ever.

Indeed. I didn't even know who Crerar was.

Maybe this calls for a poll: "Most unrated WW2 commanders".
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2011, 09:52:48 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 28, 2011, 08:34:16 PM
I don't get the Monty hate. Dude was the only one following a reasonable plan to get to Berlin and saving northern Europe from the Russkies, instead of retarded yankee ideas about a southern redoubt  :wacko:

He wasn't exactly crap.  He was a first-class administrator & trainer.  But he was far too unimaginative and risk-averse (outside of his Market Garden failure).  In many respects he's comparable to McClellan, except that he did win some decisive battles.

During and shortly after WWII, I would put him up there with the most overrated.  Nowadays his reputation seems to have adjusted to a more or less accurate level, though.

Considering the English manpower shortage and having dissolve units to feed replacements to front line units, I can understand him being risk adverse in '44.

Still no excuse for him being an asshole during the Bulge. LOL I SAVED YOU YANKS! Nigga please.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

And dammit, I don't want to ever have to defend the English ever again.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 29, 2011, 12:07:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2011, 09:52:48 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 28, 2011, 08:34:16 PM
I don't get the Monty hate. Dude was the only one following a reasonable plan to get to Berlin and saving northern Europe from the Russkies, instead of retarded yankee ideas about a southern redoubt  :wacko:

He wasn't exactly crap.  He was a first-class administrator & trainer.  But he was far too unimaginative and risk-averse (outside of his Market Garden failure).  In many respects he's comparable to McClellan, except that he did win some decisive battles.

During and shortly after WWII, I would put him up there with the most overrated.  Nowadays his reputation seems to have adjusted to a more or less accurate level, though.

Considering the English manpower shortage and having dissolve units to feed replacements to front line units, I can understand him being risk adverse in '44.

Still no excuse for him being an asshole during the Bulge. LOL I SAVED YOU YANKS! Nigga please.

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 29, 2011, 11:35:48 AM
Indeed. I didn't even know who Crerar was.

Maybe this calls for a poll: "Most unrated WW2 commanders".

:D

The Minsky Moment

Canadian generals are best when seen, but not heard.

And yes that is directed at you, Lew MacKenzie.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson