What Would Be In Your Manifesto ?

Started by mongers, July 26, 2011, 09:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 02:26:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 11:57:30 AM
These two notions are at odds.
Not at all.  They're not related.

They are at odds; intelligence as a resource is derived largely from the great number of talented humans you can draw from a pool of seven billion.  If you reduce the number of humans, you will reduce the number of humans capable of technological or scientific innovation.  Education will only get you so far, Mr. al-Ghul--a fully mobilized seven billion is going to be smarter than a fully mobilized half billion.

Which isn't to say that the human population does not need to be reduced through gradual dieback, or the space they live in needs to be greatly expanded.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

I'm just off to start writing mine. :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 02:09:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 01:56:06 PM
I think people will still be around in twenty to thirty years, Grallon.

That's pretty optimistic of you. In 20-30 years time we're looking at a potential singularity event, environmental disaster, oil economy breakdown and/or nuclear war triggered by Pakistan/Iran/North Korea/Whoeverelsegetsit.

Sure, people might be around, but will civilization?  :hmm:

What about Languish?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

We'll use morse signals.

What's morse for "moron" and "mainstream media"?

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on July 26, 2011, 03:25:48 PM
We'll use morse signals.

-... -.-- / - .... . / .--. --- .-- . .-. / --- ..-. / --. --- --- --. .-.. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-. . -.. / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... - / ... --- -. / --- ..-. / .- / -... .. - -.-. .... .-.-.-

PDH

My manifesto would have provisions about my getting steaks cooked properly, my own private Pacific island, and an army of attractive women who wear bikinis under their 1960s-style jumpsuits (that have my initials on it).  Beyond that it would mostly be stolen from 19th century texts.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 03:29:04 PM
We'll use morse signals.

-... -.-- / - .... . / .--. --- .-- . .-. / --- ..-. / --. --- --- --. .-.. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-. . -.. / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... - / ... --- -. / --- ..-. / .- / -... .. - -.-. .... .-.-.-

Kind of a free translation there, Slargos.

FunkMonk

My manifesto would mandate everyone in the world register an account on Languish.

Then it would include purging everyone except me.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

We'll use morse signals.

It is the lyrics for 'Hollaback Girl'
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

My manifesto's theme song would be 'Born in the USA'.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Also, I'd like to see people flogged who are using the languish theme phrase of the day, 'Natural Law'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 02:31:41 PM
They are at odds; intelligence as a resource is derived largely from the great number of talented humans you can draw from a pool of seven billion.  If you reduce the number of humans, you will reduce the number of humans capable of technological or scientific innovation.  Education will only get you so far, Mr. al-Ghul--a fully mobilized seven billion is going to be smarter than a fully mobilized half billion.

Which isn't to say that the human population does not need to be reduced through gradual dieback, or the space they live in needs to be greatly expanded.
Intelligence requires fertile ground in order to be used to the fullest.  You're better off with 250 million people who are able to enjoy an extensive, resource-intense education coupled with heavy societal pressure to excel then you are 7 billion people the vast majority of whom live like animals and the rest are hobbled by the fact that achievement and knowledge aren't 'cool'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2011, 04:51:14 PM
We'll use morse signals.

It is the lyrics for 'Hollaback Girl'

^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 06:54:32 PM

Intelligence requires fertile ground in order to be used to the fullest.  You're better off with 250 million people who are able to enjoy an extensive, resource-intense education coupled with heavy societal pressure to excel then you are 7 billion people the vast majority of whom live like animals and the rest are hobbled by the fact that achievement and knowledge aren't 'cool'.

You're assuming that humans are fungible, which they are not.  Short of genetic engineering--eugenics aren't effective, at least not in the short term--there is no way to make them so.  Out any given number of humans, regardless of the extent of resources devoted to their education or the social pressure applied to them, you will net a fixed number of people capable of doing high-technology or knowledge work.  Not all humans are born equal, and I know you recognize this.

Besides, your system sounds a lot like Japan.  It is indeed noted for technological wonder (although truthfully no more than the U.S., even adjusted for population).  However, it is even more widely known as a Country of Sad People.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 07:05:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 06:54:32 PM

You're assuming that humans are fungible, which they are not.  Short of genetic engineering--eugenics aren't effective, at least not in the short term--there is no way to make them so.  Out any given number of humans, regardless of the extent of resources devoted to their education or the social pressure applied to them, you will net a fixed number of people capable of doing high-technology or knowledge work.  Not all humans are born equal, and I know you recognize this.
You will get some, but there's no fixed number for imbecility.  And retardation can always be aborted.

At any rate, the world needs ditch-diggers and service-clods too.
QuoteBesides, your system sounds a lot like Japan.  It is indeed noted for technological wonder (although truthfully no more than the U.S., even adjusted for population).  However, it is even more widely known as a Country of Sad People.
Of course it is.  Japan is a failing country that has abandoned their sense of community and order, and their political system has stamped out ambition, both individually and as a people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.