Yes - His Soul's Marching On!
22 (46.8%)
No - I'm a Puppet of the Slave Power
23 (48.9%)
Other - Gutless and Indecisive
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

dps

I'm not sure that "abolutionist-lite" is a fair or accurate way to describe the views of many in the north.  Opinion in the north was basically divided between those who called for the abolition of slavery; those who didn't care if slavery was abolished or not in the south, but didn't want it to expand further; and those who really didn't care.  As best as I can tell, abolitionists were only a majority (or at least a plurality) in New England.

One thing to keep in mind about the abolitionists, though, is that while the firmly condemned the institution of slavery, they didn't give a damn about the slaves themselves.  Only a small number of them had any concern about what would happen to freed blacks if the institution was abolished.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2011, 12:21:01 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 09:26:17 AM
Oh get a room with his corpse already, Seedy.

Don't make me return you to your massa's plantation.

I'm not sure anyone can be my master.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 03:16:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2011, 12:21:01 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2011, 09:26:17 AM
Oh get a room with his corpse already, Seedy.

Don't make me return you to your massa's plantation.

I'm not sure anyone can be my master.

THATS NOT WHAT HE SAID

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2011, 01:56:53 PM
As best as I can tell, abolitionists were only a majority (or at least a plurality) in New England.

You forget there was a substantial abolitionist presence in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois as well.

QuoteOne thing to keep in mind about the abolitionists, though, is that while the firmly condemned the institution of slavery, they didn't give a damn about the slaves themselves.  Only a small number of them had any concern about what would happen to freed blacks if the institution was abolished.

Nonsense.

Neil

One thing to keep in mind about the abolitionists, though, is that while the firmly condemned the institution of slavery, they didn't give a damn about the slaves themselves.  Only a small number of them had any concern about what would happen to freed blacks if the institution was abolished.
It's interesting to note that the two people who argue the most for Brown are the two most racist people on the forum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 30, 2011, 08:11:38 PM
It's interesting to note that the two people who argue the most for Brown are the two most racist people on the forum.

:unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 30, 2011, 09:31:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 30, 2011, 08:11:38 PM
:unsure:
That's right.  You.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Martinus

Of course. And the white masters mainly had the good of the blacks in their hearts. They were like fair and wise parents to the unruly childrn.  :rolleyes:

dps

Quote from: Martinus on July 31, 2011, 03:03:21 AM
Of course. And the white masters mainly had the good of the blacks in their hearts. They were like fair and wise parents to the unruly childrn.  :rolleyes:

Dumbass.  Of course the slaveowners didn't give a crap about the slave except to the extent that they were of financial value.  But I suggest that you read up a bit on the abolitionist movement before you assume that because they opposed slavery, the abolitionists cared about the slaves as people.  Sure, some of them did--Thaddeus Stevens is a good exaple.  But most of them didn't, really.  Some of the New England abolitionists even supported the idea of southern seccession--their reasoning was that if the slave states left the Union, then the US would be free of the moral taint of slavery.

Martinus

Well, I heard some abolitionists were fundamentalist Christians so that kind of twisted reasoning is not beyond them.