22 (46.8%)
No - I'm a Puppet of the Slave Power
23 (48.9%)
Other - Gutless and Indecisive
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on July 28, 2011, 03:22:14 AM
I dug a rather deep, nice hole, didn't I.

I still maintain that violence isn't the answer.

Yes. It is.

It always is, and it always will be.

Violence or the threat of violence permeates your entire existence.

Martinus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 27, 2011, 09:29:38 PM
Meh, I'm with Timmay on this one.  To claim that the American Revolution was no true revolution is a significant challenge to the status quo interpretation, and as such requires more evidence than saying simply "it was a power grab from an already entrenched elite" (not that Norgy necessarily gives enough of a shit to do so, mind), especially considering it is usually societal elites who lead a revolution.  The Am Rev was arguably less utopian and radical in scope than, say, the Bolshevik revolution, but I still don't see why it doesn't qualify as a true revolution.

I think most people disagree with Timmy's claim that the ACW was a "revolution". It was a classic civil war. Perhaps it could be the reason why it is called the American Civil War:hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2011, 08:07:20 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 27, 2011, 07:50:39 PM
McPherson, who wrote a pulitzer prize winning history of the war, agrees with me and not you. He even title one of his later books Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution. I'll take his word over yours.
An appeal to authority?

It's actually less than an appeal to authority. It's an appeal to a book title (which are known for their scientific precision and lack of hyperbole).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 05:21:16 AM
McPherson, who wrote a pulitzer prize winning history of the war, agrees with me and not you. He even title one of his later books Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution. I'll take his word over yours.
An appeal to authority?

It's actually less than an appeal to authority. It's an appeal to a book title (which are known for their scientific precision and lack of hyperbole).
If I had The Battle Cry of Freedom on hand I'd quote where he expounds on the war's revolutionary nature, but I don't have it with me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2011, 05:33:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 05:21:16 AM
An appeal to authority?

If I had The Battle Cry of Freedom on hand I'd quote where he expounds on the war's revolutionary nature, but I don't have it with me.
:D

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on July 27, 2011, 06:49:33 PM
The American "Revolution" was no revolution, but a powergrab from an already entrenched elite. It doesn't count. By the same accord, Norway's constitution of May 17th would be a revolution. It wasn't.

I had this constantly force-fed to me in college, and I even started believing it at a certain point.  On the surface & in immediate terms, yeah it was a transfer of power from one set of elites to another.  But that superficial argument ignores the radically different course we decided to take with how we formed our new government.  Sure, it was less of an upheaval than the Bolshevik Revolution & some others, but it was very much a revolution.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 05:19:27 AM
I think most people disagree with Timmy's claim that the ACW was a "revolution". It was a classic civil war.

:huh:  Really?  The South was looking to overthrow Lincoln and install Davis as President of the USA?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on July 28, 2011, 09:50:51 AM
I think most people disagree with Timmy's claim that the ACW was a "revolution". It was a classic civil war.

:huh:  Really?  The South was looking to overthrow Lincoln and install Davis as President of the USA?

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2011, 09:22:42 AM
Quote from: Norgy on July 27, 2011, 06:49:33 PM
The American "Revolution" was no revolution, but a powergrab from an already entrenched elite. It doesn't count. By the same accord, Norway's constitution of May 17th would be a revolution. It wasn't.

I had this constantly force-fed to me in college, and I even started believing it at a certain point.  On the surface & in immediate terms, yeah it was a transfer of power from one set of elites to another.  But that superficial argument ignores the radically different course we decided to take with how we formed our new government.  Sure, it was less of an upheaval than the Bolshevik Revolution & some others, but it was very much a revolution.

This again.

If you're going to argue whether something or other is something or other, can't you agree on the definition of the something and other first? :weep:

Dictionary.com gives us the following definitions (snipped the irrelevant ones)

1. an overthrow or repudiation and the thorough replacement of an established government or political system by the people governed. 2. Sociology . a radical and pervasive change in society and the social structure, especially one made suddenly and often accompanied by violence.

By both these definitions, the American Revolution is indeed a revolution.

It doesn't matter if the people in revolt are the landed class or the plebes.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 09:54:48 AM

:tinfoil:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

The American Revolution can be described as a revolution. In America. Hence not the "British Revolution". The American Civil War could possibly be described as the "Southern (Attempted) Revolution" but not as an American revolution for reasons analogous with the original American Revolution above.

But what kind of sick fuck cares about these terms anyway?

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on July 28, 2011, 10:02:08 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 09:54:48 AM

:tinfoil:

:unsure:

Tonitrus

Martinus

Merriam-Webster defines a civil war as "a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country". Other dictionary definitions include:

"A war between factions or regions of the same country." (American Heritage)
"a war fought between different groups of people within the same country" (Macmillan)
"a war fought by different groups of people living in the same country" (Cambridge)
"a war within a nation between opposing political factions or regions. (Wordsmyth)

I don't know where you take the requirement of a violent overthrow of the government from - it may be one of many goals of a civil war, but does not need to be one.

Slargos

According to that definition the ACW wasn't really a civil war though.  :hmm: