News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Those countries will have to be recreated. It is imperative that previous winners not have to go through qualification.
Liep, help me out here.

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on March 04, 2016, 08:27:31 AM
Those countries will have to be recreated. It is imperative that previous winners not have to go through qualification.
Liep, help me out here.

Usually I'd be for an idea involving free EC tickets for Denmark, but we're so shite at the moment I don't think I can back you. Maybe mono will help you.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on March 04, 2016, 08:30:45 AM

Usually I'd be for an idea involving free EC tickets for Denmark, but we're so shite at the moment I don't think I can back you. Maybe mono will help you.

Oh god, I've turned into mono  :Embarrass:

Allez Rode Duivels!

Norgy

I think we should go all the way back to Mitropa competition, and recreate Austria-Hungary for that single purpose.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on March 04, 2016, 07:56:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2016, 07:12:19 AM
Keep Americans out of football reason #12314  :P

Sadly it's a mentality that is spreading. Last year Lazio's president and one of the head honchos of Serie A was caught on record badmouthing the possibility that too many small teams were getting promoted to Serie A while historical big teams languished in lower divisions, which made their TV rights lose value. Then again I guess that he doesn't enjoy seeing Sassuolo (from a small city in the Emilia Romagna, who have to play in a different city to have a big enough stadium to play their home games at) currently ahead of teams like Torino, Sampdoria, Genoa, Udinese or his own Lazio in the standings.  :P

American sports people would be horrified by this idea. Clubs reaching the top of the sport because they are good? But what about BRAND RECOGNITION and MARKET SHARE and FOOTPRINT and stuff that sports is really about?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Clearly Man United should win EVERYTHING.

Josephus

Sadly it's a mentality that is spreading. Last year Lazio's president and one of the head honchos of Serie A was caught on record badmouthing the possibility that too many small teams were getting promoted to Serie A while historical big teams languished in lower divisions, which made their TV rights lose value. Then again I guess that he doesn't enjoy seeing Sassuolo (from a small city in the Emilia Romagna, who have to play in a different city to have a big enough stadium to play their home games at) currently ahead of teams like Torino, Sampdoria, Genoa, Udinese or his own Lazio in the standings.  :P

The relegation/promotion and the fight for European spots is what makes European football exciting. Saying Leicester can't play in the Champions League or Sassuolo can't play in the Serie A is nonsense. I know that's how they do things here, where no matter how much a team like Toronto sucks in ice hockey or soccer (MLS) they still play in the top tier. But it's dumb.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on March 04, 2016, 09:42:02 AM

The relegation/promotion and the fight for European spots is what makes European football exciting. Saying Leicester can't play in the Champions League or Sassuolo can't play in the Serie A is nonsense. I know that's how they do things here, where no matter how much a team like Toronto sucks in ice hockey or soccer (MLS) they still play in the top tier. But it's dumb.

No doubt. When your team is terrible over here there is no reason to watch them or care so you sort of tune out. In Euroland when your team sucks you are freaking the fuck out they might be relegated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Norgy

Relegation and promotion are mostly fun when your team is being promoted and not relegated.

I remember my local team getting back to back relegations, and it was a torrid time to be a fan.

Josquius

True. But the fight to avoid relegation is certainly engaging.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Think Sunderland can make it another year?

I think Aston Villa is mostly doomed and ready for the drop.
Can't see them picking up a lot of points for the rest of the season.

Forest seem to be destined for yet another year of second tier mediocrity.

Valmy

The crazy celebration when the Dallas Cowboys are going down to the World League would be epic.

Josquius

Before the 60th minute of Crystal Palace I would have said definitely, we're shooting for lower mid-table.
With Swansea winning and us throwing away that win though.... Its firmly a 3 horse race for 2 slots.
Norwich I think are down. But Newcastle have some good players. It'll be tough. The derby will decide it.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

The wally with the brolly have made some good signings, but once again can't get his on-the-paper good squad playing decent football. I think his best work was done as sir Alex' assistant.

Admiral Yi

Chinese teams spent $300 million on transfer fees, more than the top five Euro leagues combined.