News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

I've been badgering my local cinema to show "I Believe In Miracles".

They liked the idea, could not get hold of the movie.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 02:58:56 PM
Mou has shown time and again that he can't stay at the same club for long. He always ends up burning bridges with either the board, players, the media, or all of them. His main - and increasingly sole - trick is to amp-up the siege mentality, and this ends up exhausting the clubs he manages.

All in all, it's pretty blatant that Chelsea players don't want to play for him. Hazard was hilarious yesterday.

Yup I agree. This time it only worked for one season. I really can't see him being the type of manager who can stay at a club for 10 or 15 or 20 years. He's not capable of that  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on December 15, 2015, 08:30:50 AM
Waddayamean "gone"? Application for the draw hasn't closed yet

The draw for the second phase is not closet yet indeed, but there was a first phase with a draw as well which had those famous tickets I mentioned. I applied back then and got nothing.

Norgy

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 15, 2015, 03:03:39 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 02:58:56 PM
Mou has shown time and again that he can't stay at the same club for long. He always ends up burning bridges with either the board, players, the media, or all of them. His main - and increasingly sole - trick is to amp-up the siege mentality, and this ends up exhausting the clubs he manages.

All in all, it's pretty blatant that Chelsea players don't want to play for him. Hazard was hilarious yesterday.

Yup I agree. This time it only worked for one season. I really can't see him being the type of manager who can stay at a club for 10 or 15 or 20 years. He's not capable of that  :lol:

Mourinho, because of his rather direct handling of media, is often compared to the late Brian Clough.
And he seems to enjoy the comparision.
The difference, though, is that Clough won the league twice with two fairly unfancied clubs and the European Cup twice with a small side from the Midlands that had little money and almost broke the bank when Trevor Francis became the first million pound player (with taxes, the actual fee was £ 999.999). Mourinho has won the league with a club that's been fueled by Russian money for a decade. He's not special. He's basically nothing compared to the Cloughs, Shanklys, Paisleys and Fergusons.

Josquius

I wonder how some pretty unspectacular managers would do if given a chance at Chelsea. The sort that does their trade in the bottom of the premier and the championship
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Norgy

The Steve Bruces of this world? An interesting premise for a discussion.

I was utterly underwhelmed when Dougie Freedman was appointed Forest manager after Pearce's terrible stint, but he's actually done a decent job at steadying a sinking ship.
Under a transfer embargo, no less.

Who'd have thought Leicester City would be in top three this season?

Schteve McClaren was utter shite at Forest, but took Derby County close to promotion. Now I guess he is shite at Newcastle.

Tamas

I think/hope that Mourinho will have one last chance: go on a shopping spree come January and rebuild the squad. If somebody, he can make it. Then again of course the Holidays period is traditionally the worst for Chelsea, there is a decent chance they will emerge out of it deep within relegation zone.

If he is kicked out, they need somebody who the players can rally around, AND who can change up the tactics. I think part of the problem is that Mourinho must be very predictable by now.

Norgy

Is Roberto di Matteo still unemployed?
He's be a good shout.

Gups

Courtesy of the always excellent David Squires at the Guardian

Liep

Ugh. Barcelona - Guangzhou in the Club World Cup. A chinese player fell with his weight down on his foot and it was just dangling there in the wrong direction. Poor guy. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on December 17, 2015, 06:06:33 AM
Ugh. Barcelona - Guangzhou in the Club World Cup. A chinese player fell with his weight down on his foot and it was just dangling there in the wrong direction. Poor guy. :(

Yeah, I was watching the game and I had to turn it off for a moment. Sick.  :wacko:

Josephus

Looks like Mourinho is gone, British media reporting.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

:(

I am sad I was hoping he would stay for many years, but at this stage he did seem incapable of preventing a total meltdown.

Duque de Bragança

Too early for Mourinho to be coach for Portugal. :(
Fernando Santos might even do a good enough job to get a longer contract.