News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Commentator said about Neville that he was only the fifth Englishman to ever coach a champions league team. Can that be true?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on December 09, 2015, 04:25:21 PM
Commentator said about Neville that he was only the fifth Englishman to ever coach a champions league team. Can that be true?

Might be, English coaches don't really travel well, and most English CL teams were coached by foreigners.

Josquius

Champions league. ... possibly. It was the champions cup until fairly recently right? This century foreign managers are the thing in England. 

Edit - I was curious so just checked. European cup became champions league further back than I thought. 92. Surprised there wouldn't be more English managers then.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2015, 12:13:28 AM
Champions league. ... possibly. It was the champions cup until fairly recently right? This century foreign managers are the thing in England. 

Edit - I was curious so just checked. European cup became champions league further back than I thought. 92. Surprised there wouldn't be more English managers then.

If they were talking about British managers I guess the situation would be a bit better just by including Ferguson and others like Rodgers, but for most of the CL era the big English clubs that have dominated the Premier League have been coached by non English managers. Ferguson at United, Wenger at Arsenal, Houlier and Benítez at Liverpool, Mourinho and a retinue of other non English coaches at Chelsea... You have to search for "oddities" like Tottenham or Newcastle, as those are the teams more likely to be coached by Englishmen.

Now that we're on it, when was the last time that the Premier League was won by a team with an English coach?

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2015, 05:55:49 AM

Now that we're on it, when was the last time that the Premier League was won by a team with an English coach?

After some googling, never. Leeds won the First Division with Wilkinson in '91/92

Before that, Everton in '86/87 with Kendall.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on December 10, 2015, 06:04:51 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2015, 05:55:49 AM

After some googling, never. Leeds won the First Division with Wilkinson in '91/92

Before that, Everton in '86/87 with Kendall.

So it wasn't even called the Premier League back then.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Benzema can no longer be chosen for the French national squad says Noël Le Graët, French football federation chairman, due to the sextape scandal.  :lol:

Guess the image of Benzema spitting during the Marseillaise did not help though Benzema claims no malicious intent. A bit like when he called Valbuena a tarlouze (faggot) over the phone during a chat with a blackmailer and claimed it was friendly.  :lmfao:

Syt

Euro 2016 tickets.

The contingent for German matches will only be available for members of the national team's fan club. You have to apply in December. The tickets will (randomly) be awarded in January.

So if you're interested in tickets, you have to sign up with the fan club this year (entry fee EUR 10.-, 2015 membership fee EUR 30.-), and also pay the 2016 fee in January (another EUR 30.-). And then you won't even have the guarantee of getting one of the (probably way overpriced) tickets.

The German federation say that this in no way nefarious, and is actually the process they apply to all team's away matches.

:bleeding: / :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Danish union did the same for playoff tickets, our players protested this nefarious money grabbing scheme by playing like a sack of potatoes and ruining the night for all who fell for the ploy.

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on December 12, 2015, 07:23:58 AM
Danish union did the same for playoff tickets, our players protested this nefarious money grabbing scheme by playing like a sack of potatoes and ruining the night for all who fell for the ploy.

The Dutch team never even let the federation consider it, it's heart warming how considerate they are to their fans.

Duque de Bragança

I have not checked with the Portuguese federation yet but I don't remember such a policy for 2006 or, of course, for qualifiying rounds.
Most Portuguese fans will probably get tickets in France anyways.

Liep

Draw for the EC16 is on, France starts the show with a can-can show. :frog:

Josephus

Man they draw these things out. GET ON WITH IT
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Draw is in the neighborhood (walking distance) so some public transport and traffic problems. The sooner it is over, the better!

Josquius

England is simular I'm sure.
National team fanclub....just insane
██████
██████
██████