News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on October 22, 2015, 03:25:25 AM
Also, you have to consider who he sold him to (no matter whose decision that was). Cruyff singlehandedly forced us as a nation to root for Real Madrid. That's war crime level monstrosity.

Yeah, that's nasty.

Syt

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/22/bastian-schweinsteiger-nazi-doll-sue

QuoteBastian Schweinsteiger's lawyers seek downfall of Nazi doll doppelgänger

The Manchester United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is reported to be taking legal action to force a Hong Kong doll manufacturer to pull from its product range a Nazi doll that bears a striking resemblance to him.

The German tabloid Bild said that the star footballer's lawyers had begun proceedings in order to prevent sales of the 30cm figure that is due to retail for around £78 (HK$958).

Bild quoted the manufacturing company, Dragon in Dream (DiD) as saying that it was "pure coincidence" that the figure resembled the 31-year-old who joined Manchester United from Bayern Munich in July on a three-year contract worth a reported £14.4m.

It said the name was also a coincidence, as "many people in Germany are called Bastian".

The figure comes with a steel helmet, a woollen cap bearing a swastika, and a dagger. Experts were quick to point out that its attire is historically inaccurate. It weighs around 2kg.

It also comes equipped with outfit changes, including a white winter jacket and gloves, and other accessories such as two loaves of bread and a set of mess tins.

"Bastian" will reportedly soon be available to buy in Europe via a Dutch partner of DiD. The company describes the doll as "a member of a Wehrmacht supply unit, a so-called cookhouse wallah".

The Chinese companies register lists Japanese businessman Takuya Umezawa as the director of the DiD Corporation, whose capital shares are worth around £173,000. As well as a range of Nazi soldiers, the company also sells figures of first world war soldiers, as well as a Stalin and a James Bond doll.

Patrick Chan of DiD told Bild that any resemblance to Schweinsteiger was a coincidence. He added: "The figure is based on a typical German. We believe that all Germans look like that."

Media lawyer Ulrich Amelung told the paper that he believed Schweinsteiger would have strong legal grounds on which to stop the doll from being sold.

"This is a clear violation of Schweinsteiger's personal rights. Every person has the right to their own image. Furthermore the depiction of a swastika-wearing Wehrmacht soldier constitutes gross defamation and offence," he said.

Bild called the doll a "dirty Chinese slur" against the captain of the German football team who is a hero to many of his countrymen and women, not least Chancellor Angela Merkel.

By Thursday evening the company's website had been taken down. A few hours earlier the site had depicted the smiling doll, a supposed "collector's item", in 63 different pictures, showing the figure in various guises, including dishing out soup and carrying bread.

The newspaper Die Welt, said it was outrageous enough that the company had turned one of Germany's most popular figureheads into a Nazi, but the company's claim that the Nazi doll resembled all Germans only added insult to injury.

Many Germans were devastated when Schweinsteiger made the move to Manchester this summer. But his attempts to integrate into the UK way of life, not least tuning into British humour, have been followed closely by the German media and the Germans' love affair with him is far from over.

Much publicity was given to some of his earlier, off-the-pitch mishaps – including a jacuzzi tryst at Bayern's training grounds – but not as much as has been written about the mutual admiration between him and Merkel. One of their more famous encounters, came at the European Championships in 2008 when Schweinsteiger was suspended from a match and sat with the chancellor in the stands to watch it. "She told me I shouldn't do the same stupid things again," he said, following a red card. "When Frau Chancellor says you have to do something you have to do it."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Syt

QuoteWe believe that all Germans look like that.

"They all look the same to me?" Racist!  :mad:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Chelsea is disintegrating against West Ham. Down with one goal, red carded followed by a couple of yellows for complaining and an expulsion of an assistant. Mourinho is putting on his best smirk and air of indifference. It's beautiful.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Mourinho also expelled and West Ham wins 2 - 1 so my bet on just that is safe. Odds 4.0

:showoff:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 24, 2015, 11:03:17 AM
Chelsea:  :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson: :nelson:

Even better, Andy Carroll stuck the knife in. They let the Centaur beat them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on October 24, 2015, 01:33:10 PM
Tomorrow cometh the big one :ph34r:

Yeah, the epic battle between the last and the 3rd last team in the PL. :P

Josquius

A thought just hit me- Newcastle are pretty much the argentina of the premier league. Dirty bastards
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Wow, Sunderland must've paid some serious money to the ref. What an insane call.

Josquius

After last week and the winning goal involving several clear fouls I think we are due this bit of karma.
Things were looking  bad before with two of our players having to be subbed, including our main defender
I've no commentary where I'm wathing so took me totally by surprise. 
██████
██████
██████