And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 15, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
I don't know which is more hilarious:

LOLerpool being utterly mediocre. Nice spending there Rodgers.

Or

Chelsea sucking.

Rodgers is a fraud, Mourinho is losing it, and I'm loving all of it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Rodgers haven't got the players to play the way he wants. Well, he does, but not of the class he should have. Benteke is a mystery signing for a team that prefers to play it on the floor and keep possession, if you ask me.

Syt

It seems Greek police have been beating up Bayern fans ... which is a bit weird, Bayern Munich fans don't generally have a reputation of being problematic in any way. Several fans needed medical attention afterwards.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Just noticed your avatar Norgy.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Meh, Porto suffered a late equaliser in Kyiv vs the Dynamo. :( 2-2

Syt

Minor scandal in the Bundesliga.

German tabloid BILD - they're not the best journalists, but they're among the bests when it comes to running campaigns. In the past they've been known to make and break careers in sports, showbiz or politics. For months they were riling against refugees and immigration until recently, when the broad German opinion changed. Now they're on the altruism bandwagon.

For next Bundesliga match day they made a deal with the league where clubs could opt to wear a charitable "We help" badge instead of the usual league sponsor's badge on their jerseys.

All clubs joined, except ... FC St. Pauli. The editor in chief of BILD, Kai Diekmann (a person I find rather repugnant) took to Twitter calling the club out with #refugeesnotwelcome and that obviously making right wing parties happy.

He was widely ridiculed for it. If any pro club in Germany has a reputation for inclusion and tolerance it would be FC St. Pauli who support various charities, only recently invited 1000 refugees to watch a friendly match against Dortmund, fosters an alternative/left wing fan scene (it was the first club with an openly gay president), supports development projects in Third World countries, and was even mentioned in the New York Times for it.

FC St. Pauli reacted with a diplomatic message that basically said, "While you and the other clubs care about the PR, we're actually doing something." That the paper and the club are not on friendly terms and often find themselves on opposite side on, well, almost everything, goes without saying.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

4 more clubs now have also withdrawn from the initiative. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Liep on September 16, 2015, 07:10:21 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 15, 2015, 01:31:02 PM
I broke down and brought Viaplay to watch Champions League and NFL.  $35/month :cry:

Turns out to be a good deal as I'll also get the Rugby World Cup.

I think I'm experiencing a sports overload. Premier league is also part of the deal.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

The Scottish league is actually looking interesting this year. Aberdeen are pulling ahead at the top of the table. Would make a change from Celtic.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Bayern's Lewandowski has just scored 5 goals in a league match against Wolfsburg (who are also in Champions League this season) .... in 9 minutes. :lmfao:

I suppose it's fitting with the kind of week VW is having (they're the main sponsor for Wolfsburg - the city was built for VW in the 30s).
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

The Spanish FA has refused to register 11 year old Boris Tchako, from Hercules, in a youth league. They suspect him and the club are lying about his age.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I wonder why.

(stolen from Larchie in the Spanish EUOT)

The Larch

It really reinforces all the stereotypes against players of African origin that play in youth categories.  :lol:

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Apparently Eva Carneiro is leaving Chelsea and plans on taking them to court over the treatment received.