News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

katmai

Serbia wins U 20 World cup defeating Brazil 2-1 in Extra Time.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

Quote from: katmai on June 20, 2015, 02:31:47 AM

But U20 is 2nd rate isn't it? All the best players play the U21 tournaments I think.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The highest Danish division is being expanded from 12 to 14 teams and they're introducing a play off for the top 8 teams. :bleeding:

katmai

Quote from: Liep on June 20, 2015, 04:31:08 AM

But U20 is 2nd rate isn't it? All the best players play the U21 tournaments I think.

:huh:

Liep

Quote from: katmai on June 20, 2015, 04:45:13 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 20, 2015, 04:31:08 AM

:huh:

There's a U21 Euro Cup going on right now, and I'm assuming the players can't play both. So I would guess the best players were used for the higher aged team?

Josquius

Yeah, U20 is very much the weird ugly child of youth football. U21 is important, U19 also moderately so. U20...is just some thing that they have in the middle as a stop gap.
██████
██████
██████

katmai

No idea how you balls of light do it, We here in the greatest country on earth only have National, U-23, U-20, U-19, U-17 teams, none of this U-21 shit.

:P

Liep

That is why you'll never be good at football.

:P

celedhring

U-20 usually gets depleted of talent, kids that are good enough will play U-21, while U-19 kids are often not physically up to snuff to play against older kids - that age group usually gets a lot of 17 or 18 year old hot prospects that are still too small.

U-23 is only for the Olympics.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on June 20, 2015, 04:46:51 AM

There's a U21 Euro Cup going on right now

England U21 played well but they ended up beaten by Portugal U21 1-0 :)

bogh

I was there last night (the whole thing was held in New Zealand) and it was actually a pretty good game. Serbia were very compact and relied on counters, with Brazil being flamboyant and wasteful. The 3rd place match before it (Senegal vs. Mali) was highly entertaining as well. I also went to a semifinal and a quarterfinal.

The players were quite raw and clearly hadn't played much together, but you could definitely see the potential in some of them and there were flashes of absolutely brilliance along the way. Andrea Pereira from Brazil (who's in the ManU youth squad) scored a fantastic goal against the Serbian keeper who was otherwise very impressive.

katmai

Yeah I was watching the game live here in Alaska.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.