News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

celedhring

I'm still giggling like a little girl when I picture Messi's goal in my head again. Unbelievable stuff.

Norgy

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 30, 2015, 07:53:01 PM
I have it on good authority that Arsenal, Arsenal FC, are by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.

I heard several people say Nottingham Forest are magic, are magic, are magic. I have not seen it since the days of Bohinen, Pearce, Roy and Collymore, so it might have been a lie.

Josquius

I hope eufa do veto the World Cup.
Would be nice if we could drag the Latin Americans in for our own tournament for good teams :menace:
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 31, 2015, 10:34:55 AM
Would be nice if we could drag the Latin Americans in for our own tournament for good teams :menace:

CONCACAF will do the same. Our World Cup will be a best 2 out of 3 between us and Mexico every four years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2015, 07:41:01 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 31, 2015, 10:34:55 AM

CONCACAF will do the same. Our World Cup will be a best 2 out of 3 between us and Mexico every four years.

It will be called "World Series of Soccer."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 01, 2015, 07:59:27 AM
It will be called "World Series of Soccer."

From a fellow baseball fan to :weep:

Anyway you should know it would therefore be the 'World Soccer Classic'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

When I was a kid and I heard the "World Series" being alluded to in movies, I thought they were actual world series with baseball teams from all other the world competing in them. Kids are so naive.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2015, 08:08:54 AM
When I was a kid and I heard the "World Series" being alluded to in movies, I thought they were actual world series with baseball teams from all other the world competing in them. Kids are so naive.

Well we do have that. It is called the 'World Baseball Classic'. The name some 19th century business men came up with the market their inter-league championship series is something else. Now it is tradition so we are stuck with it. However, generally MLB does contain most of the top players from around the world...unlike a CONCACAF-only soccer championship :P

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2015, 08:15:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 01, 2015, 08:08:54 AM

Well we do have that. It is called the 'World Baseball Classic'. The name some 19th century business men came up with the market their inter-league championship series is something else. Now it is tradition so we are stuck with it. However, generally MLB does contain most of the top players from around the world.

The World Baseball Classic is kind of cool IMO.  Obviously it has no tradition or history behind it, and the timing of it isn't very good (before spring training), but it's kidn of fun none the less.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Huge fan of the WBC. Though it does expose how far behind US Baseball development is behind the Dominicans and the Japanese.

Norgy

Isn't baseball still quite huge in Cuba? Maybe they'll join now.
La Habaña 59ers.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on June 01, 2015, 12:17:24 PM
Isn't baseball still quite huge in Cuba? Maybe they'll join now.
La Habaña 59ers.

They compete in the WBC. They have never won it though.

The Dutch beat them at the last one.

Barrister

While I suspect MLB would not mind expanding to central or even south america, the countries where baseball is huge really don't have the kind of incomes which would support MLB prices.

Cuba has always participated in the WBC.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2015, 12:27:56 PM
While I suspect MLB would not mind expanding to central or even south america, the countries where baseball is huge really don't have the kind of incomes which would support MLB prices.

Cuba has always participated in the WBC.

Oh does he mean a Major League club in Cuba? Heh the Canadians can hardly support theirs.