News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I would say master the best foot first.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2015, 03:05:45 PM
My suggestion would be to spend a considerable amount of time practicing kicking with the off foot.  Based on my knowledge of basketball, it's one thing you don't pick up playing unorganized ball, and I imagine it's a lot easier if you learn it young.

I would also imagine you will not see a significant fall off in quality of play.  :sleep:

Genuine two-footers are few and far between. If you're a forward, being able to shoot with both feet is a pretty good ability, same if you're playing out wide for hitting crosses.

The two most pertinent things to learn as a kid in soccer are most likely to be comfortable on the ball, and that you are not the only player on your team.
I was horrifyingly right-footed and could only play short passes with my left foot.

celedhring

I only used my right foot to walk, tbf, I had a decent left peg though.

Ed Anger

The twins formed a flying wedge with their friend and ran over everybody. Kid soccer is awesome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2015, 01:33:51 PM
So Canada is hosting the Women's World Cup.  Yay I guess.

And somehow when nobody else volunteered I got stuck being my kids U6 head coach.

What do these two things have in common?

There is apparently a FIFA rule that no organized soccer matches can be played in a city while there is a world cup match being played.  And sure enough - one of my kids games is set the same time there is a game being played in Edmonton.  So they make us cancel the game.

Right - because a bunch of 5 year olds are going to be sure to go down to Commonwealth Stadium to watch a women's world cup match. :rolleyes:

You're shitting me, right? That's just crazy
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

And somehow when nobody else volunteered I got stuck being my kids U6 head coach.

There is apparently a FIFA rule that no organized soccer matches can be played in a city while there is a world cup match being played.  And sure enough - one of my kids games is set the same time there is a game being played in Edmonton.  So they make us cancel the game.

Right - because a bunch of 5 year olds are going to be sure to go down to Commonwealth Stadium to watch a women's world cup match. :rolleyes:

You should have bribed FIFA as is the norm.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: PDH on May 08, 2015, 08:45:58 PM

You should have bribed FIFA as is the norm.

"Nice kid soccer game you have there, would be a pity if something happened to it"

Agelastus

We had the "David Cameron derby" today in football - at least according to the commentator. :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Norgy

At least Milliband knew what his favourite team was.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

I was going to say Barça might actually fuck this up, but then Messi, Suarez and Neymar play their game for 10 seconds and they bag the game.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 08, 2015, 08:42:47 PM

You're shitting me, right? That's just crazy

I am not shitting you.  No minor soccer games in Edmonton (or any other World Cup city) if there is a game going on in that city.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Boateng proves to be useless again.

Norgy

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2015, 02:06:07 PM

I am not shitting you.  No minor soccer games in Edmonton (or any other World Cup city) if there is a game going on in that city.

It makes no sense, so I can see FIFA getting behind it with great enthusiasm.

Liep