And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Liep on May 06, 2015, 04:38:22 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 06, 2015, 04:31:56 AM
The Spanish Footballers Association is considering to go on strike to protest against their tax burden.  :bleeding:

Millionaires on strike because of their taxes, yeah, that will go down well in a country ravaged by a recession.

And now the football union wants to suspend all tournaments because they don't get a big enough cut from the TV rights. Spain. :lol:

I know that labor relations are a lot different in Europe, but from an American perspective, that makes a lot more sense than striking over taxes.

Josephus

Always felt disappointed that I was too young during Pele's tenure, and need to remind myself to appreciate that I'm living in the reign of the greatest football player ever.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2015, 12:51:25 PM
Always felt disappointed that I was too young during Pele's tenure, and need to remind myself to appreciate that I'm living in the reign of the greatest football player ever.

:yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: dps on May 06, 2015, 06:48:55 PM
The Spanish Footballers Association is considering to go on strike to protest against their tax burden.  :bleeding:

Millionaires on strike because of their taxes, yeah, that will go down well in a country ravaged by a recession.

And now the football union wants to suspend all tournaments because they don't get a big enough cut from the TV rights. Spain. :lol:

I know that labor relations are a lot different in Europe, but from an American perspective, that makes a lot more sense than striking over taxes.

I've never heard anyone strike over taxes before either. So both are surprising to me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on May 07, 2015, 12:53:53 PM
Quote from: dps on May 06, 2015, 06:48:55 PM

I've never heard anyone strike over taxes before either. So both are surprising to me.

The French league threatened to do it when Hollande tried to raise max tax to 75%.

Anyway, the footballers association have left out the tax issues off their "official" demand list for this particular strike, making it only about TV money sharing. They say they will pursue other ways to get their tax issues addressed.

Admiral Yi

Probably not *the* goofiest strike in European history.

Liep

This year's batch of black sheep who failed to live up to Financial Fair Play:

AS Roma, AS Monaco, Sporting Lissabon, Besiktas, FC Kuban Krasnodar og Lokomotiv Moskva (Only 22 players for European matches)
Inter FC (21 players)
CSKA Sofia, Kardemir Karabukspor og Rostov (Fines only)

Norgy

How could fucking PSG pass FFP?

These rules are too little, and too bloody late.
Unless you ban Man City, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Chelsea and every other club living off some rich sugar daddy or in perpetual debt supported by swarthy chairmen and municipal governments from entering at all and make them pay all their TV income as fines, the problem won't go away. These fuckers are killing football.

Barrister

So Canada is hosting the Women's World Cup.  Yay I guess.

And somehow when nobody else volunteered I got stuck being my kids U6 head coach.

What do these two things have in common?

There is apparently a FIFA rule that no organized soccer matches can be played in a city while there is a world cup match being played.  And sure enough - one of my kids games is set the same time there is a game being played in Edmonton.  So they make us cancel the game.

Right - because a bunch of 5 year olds are going to be sure to go down to Commonwealth Stadium to watch a women's world cup match. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

Don't try to make sense of FIFA rules regarding World Cups.
The FIFA is a bit like the IOC, but more corrupt.

So, do you find kids coaching fun?

Up until 11-12 years of age, girls and boys are about on par when it comes to physical capability and there's no reason girls shouldn't have the same skill as boys.

celedhring

I once was a coach in a women's football team. It was quite fun. And no, I don't mean *that* kind of fun.

The team was frankly terrible though, poor girls disbanded after one season. The league was just way too tough; they were part-timers and the teams we played against had girls so big that could have twatted even me.

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on May 08, 2015, 02:11:43 PM
Don't try to make sense of FIFA rules regarding World Cups.
The FIFA is a bit like the IOC, but more corrupt.

So, do you find kids coaching fun?

Up until 11-12 years of age, girls and boys are about on par when it comes to physical capability and there's no reason girls shouldn't have the same skill as boys.

I dunno.  As I whined about before, I don't really know anything about soccer.  But at this level you really don't - kids are playing 3 per side, with no goalie, to try and encourage lots of goals.  Lots of running around by the coaches just trying to make sure everyone stays on the playinf field, and doesn't go chasing after the ball two fields over.  :D  Also important to remind the kids what net to air for.

Admiral Yi

My suggestion would be to spend a considerable amount of time practicing kicking with the off foot.  Based on my knowledge of basketball, it's one thing you don't pick up playing unorganized ball, and I imagine it's a lot easier if you learn it young.

I would also imagine you will not see a significant fall off in quality of play.  :sleep:

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2015, 03:05:45 PM
My suggestion would be to spend a considerable amount of time practicing kicking with the off foot.  Based on my knowledge of basketball, it's one thing you don't pick up playing unorganized ball, and I imagine it's a lot easier if you learn it young.

I would also imagine you will not see a significant fall off in quality of play.  :sleep:

We're spending more time just learning not to be afraid of the ball, or not falling down when you go to kick the ball.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2015, 03:12:15 PM
We're spending more time just learning not to be afraid of the ball, or not falling down when you go to kick the ball.
:D

OK, but right after verticality maintenance is achieved, practice the off foot.