News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

FIFA has set the date for the WC final in 2022: 18th of December. And the whole tournament will be played in only 28 days.

It is not April first yet. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Agelastus

Quote from: Liep on March 19, 2015, 01:58:22 PM
FIFA has set the date for the WC final in 2022: 18th of December. And the whole tournament will be played in only 28 days.

Well, I suppose I could start looking at the bright side of this...I get to watch the World Cup Final on my birthday. :hmm:

Nah...this is still a disastrous mess.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Forgot to mention this the other day, but we watched the new NYCFC first home match in Yankee stadium, and according to the announcers, they had a bigger crowd than at any Yankees game last year.  Pretty impressive, though I don't know the relative capacity of the stadium for baseball vs soccer.

The Larch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Stadium

QuoteCapacity
Baseball: 49,642 (2014–present)
Soccer: 27,470 (Expandable to 49,642)

Liep

Quote from: Agelastus on March 19, 2015, 06:39:46 PM

Well, I suppose I could start looking at the bright side of this...I get to watch the World Cup Final on my birthday. :hmm:

I guess a positive could be that I might actually not be working on that date. The last two finals I've been working a on call shift but have magically been able to just sit in the break room watching the games. That couldn't possibly continue through a 4th game.

celedhring

Chilling in the summer with a beer in hand watching non-stop international football during my vacation has always been a biennial pleasure of mine. Damn this.

Syt

As chance would have it, the 2022 final will be played on Qatar's National Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_National_Day)

What a funny coincidence!

Well, maybe we're lucky and there'll be a popular uprising until then that executes Qatar's corrupt leadership.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2015, 04:49:08 AM
As chance would have it, the 2022 final will be played on Qatar's National Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_National_Day)

What a funny coincidence!

Well, maybe we're lucky and there'll be a popular uprising until then that executes FIFA's corrupt leadership.

Fixed.

Syt

Hey, maybe Qatar will reach the final again, like in the World Handball Championship where they fielded a team of imported sellouts and mercenaries?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on March 20, 2015, 04:13:12 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 19, 2015, 06:39:46 PM

I guess a positive could be that I might actually not be working on that date. The last two finals I've been working a on call shift but have magically been able to just sit in the break room watching the games. That couldn't possibly continue through a 4th game.

The only positive I can think of is the that a middle season tournament means the players won't be tired or barely recovering from injuries after a long season. Major plus but I like tournaments during the summer as well.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2015, 04:27:09 AM
Chilling in the summer with a beer in hand watching non-stop international football during my vacation has always been a biennial pleasure of mine. Damn this.

:yes: :ccr

:glare: :(

Liep

Danish magazine Se og Hør (of Kate Middleton titties fame) has bought a piece of land in Scotland for Niklas Bendtner to officially make him a Lord.

LORD! :worthy:

The Larch

Champions League qf:

PSG - Barcelona
Atlético - Real Madrid
Juventus - Monaco
Oporto - Bayern

Zanza

On paper, Bayern should beat Porto.