News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2015, 04:29:02 PM
Oh, I'm signed up to be an Assistant Coach for my kids U6 soccer team.

I know absolutely nothing about soccer, other than it involves kicking a round ball around the field.

What could possibly go wrong!   :wacko:

At the first training session, spend the first half of it referring to the 'round-ball' and urging your 'offenders' into the 'touch-zone' and demanding to know why your players aren't full-body tackling their opponents.

After the half-time water break, emerge from the changing room in a smartly cut suit with a scarf and jumper on. Start shouting things like 'defend from the &%$£ing front', demand your centre-forward play as a 'false nine', and when one team loses the ball, shout 'that's it boys, little pitch now, little pitch'. Complain loudly to any watching parents that the boys are just not cut out for a possession-based 4-3-3. Swear liberally. Kick a water bottle and fumble with your coat's zipper for added authenticity.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Tigres manager Ricardo Ferreti got sent off during a match of the Mexican League. He wasn't happy with the decision, and refused to leave the pitch. He finally seemed to accept the referee's decision though, and started to walk out of the bench area.

This is what he did, though:

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

That was one of the weaker direct red cards I've ever seen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Chelsea - PSG is why we call this the beautiful game.

Liep

The Special One is out so I'm good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

And also, I don't know about beautiful but it sure was intense.

celedhring

Anything that means José Mourinho gets to look like a chump is beautiful by definition.

Still, as a sporting contest the game was nonetheless a great narrative. PSG loses a man for an hour and a half, goes behind twice, and still manages to go through - and the player that made a silly penalty that could have eliminated them ends up scoring the winning goal? Perfect story.

And Mourinho gets to look like a chump.

The Larch

Tamas is bashing his head against the nearest wall right now.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on March 11, 2015, 05:51:29 PM
Tamas is bashing his head against the nearest wall right now.

Meh, team played like shit, deserved to be eliminated.

Josephus

For some reason I forgot that away goals still counted in overtime. I thought that once you got into overtime, the score was all that mattered. So with the game tied 2-2, I was expecting penalties.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Mourinho could turn that into an excuse: "they had 30 minutes more to score an away goal". :P

Zanza

Poor show by Premier League and Bundesliga teams in Champions League this year, although Bayern is a potential winner.

celedhring

City at least had the misfortune of a tough draw. But Arsenal going out to Monaco? Really?
And Chelsea should be beating PSG 8 times out of 10, imho.