News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on February 25, 2015, 02:14:15 PM
Well I speak for all Danes when I say that "Asiat" does not cover Indians, even if it may technically.

You Scandis always have much better cultural unity than we do :(

But we are hamstrung by the fact that Christopher Columbus' gaff creates real linguistic confusion now that lots of Asian Indians are over here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Well, it's still almost 8 years to go - until then the whole area could well be a war zone and/or part of IS. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2015, 08:47:28 AM

I have the small hope that the Qatar WC will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. However, I'm sure there'll be enough shady back room deals between now and then to keep all interested parties mollified, and he hype machine will start in time to gloss over any problems, and the ruler will pay lip service to human rights.
I really hope so. I think Russia is a legitimate host whatever the problems, but if everyone just tolerates Qatar :bleeding: :x :ultra:

If we're having a winter world cup I'm sad it's not in Australia. Sidney 2000 was wonderful and the timezone would be even better for places like China.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 25, 2015, 02:00:00 PM
To the Americans suggesting an Indian is an Asian would be madness.

No it wouldn't.

The madness lies in a definition of Asian that excludes 2/3 of the people living in Asia.

It would be like reserving the word European for Germans.

Sheilbh

Many people I know use Oriental which I'm uncomfortable with but given that they're of Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Malay origin I should probably just accept - I prefer East Asian.

And my impression was the same as Tyr's, that if you said Asian to a North American they would assume you meant East Asian.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

That would be the assumption, but if you called a dot head an Asian, no American would start convulsing and projectile vomiting.

Sheilbh

Okay, it's the same vice-versa.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2015, 04:21:18 PM
Many people I know use Oriental which I'm uncomfortable with but given that they're of Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Malay origin I should probably just accept - I prefer East Asian.

And my impression was the same as Tyr's, that if you said Asian to a North American they would assume you meant East Asian.

The safe terms these days (unless you know a person's specific ancestry) is East Asian for "oriental", and south asian for "indian".    There's no really good term for arab/persian types, but I guess Middle Eastern is what is used.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Oh, I'm signed up to be an Assistant Coach for my kids U6 soccer team.

I know absolutely nothing about soccer, other than it involves kicking a round ball around the field.

What could possibly go wrong!   :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2015, 04:27:23 PM
Okay, it's the same vice-versa.

On your team, Squeeze is kind of wacko on the topic.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2015, 04:29:02 PM

I know absolutely nothing about soccer, other than it involves kicking a round ball around the field.

Neither do 5 year old kids. Put a ball on the ground and have them chase it and they'll look like any other U6 team I've ever seen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

The only requirement for a coach of five years olds is that you're not a child molester.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2015, 04:29:02 PM

Just make sure that only the goalkeepers handle the ball with their hands during play.

Ed Anger

When the twins play soccer, they and their friends form a flying wedge and run over people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 25, 2015, 07:56:36 PM
When the twins play soccer, they and their friends form a flying wedge and run over people.

Interestingly, this was the first tactical formation used in association football. The W-W.