News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 21, 2014, 09:21:51 AM
He will level Old Trafford and the destruction of Manchester United will be complete.

let's hope so

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Bit of a shame he isn't going but if he's not fit he shouldn't be on the plane. Our team is real real bad anyway so it's not like he'll miss much. It'll be a good learning experience for the youngsters like Green and Diskerud.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

I'm rooting against the US anyways. Imperialist running dogs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 22, 2014, 08:49:28 PM
Bit of a shame he isn't going but if he's not fit he shouldn't be on the plane. Our team is real real bad anyway so it's not like he'll miss much. It'll be a good learning experience for the youngsters like Green and Diskerud.

Some pundits are saying that Klinsmann knows his current squad won't get out of the group so is grooming such youngsters for the next one.
Civis Romanus Sum

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on May 22, 2014, 09:53:14 PM

Some pundits are saying that Klinsmann knows his current squad won't get out of the group so is grooming such youngsters for the next one.

That's pretty much my thinking too. Our good players are old and slow and most of the rest of the squad aren't rated. It feels like the team is in a transition from the Old Guard to the New. Luckily, Bradley (our best player) is in his prime and has at least one more World Cup to look forward to.

If we get one point out of the group stage I'll consider it a moral victory.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Wasn't the European cup that way for Germany too? How many more big tournaments will it take?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Germany's current great generation has one more tournament after this until players like Lahm or Schweinsteiger will likely retire from the national team. As it is a great team and played nice football, it would be great to see them rewarded. But I don't see it happening. :(

Tamas

I am considering putting some money on Spain. I think they have one more in them.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2014, 04:10:30 AM
I am considering putting some money on Spain. I think they have one more in them.

Germany, Brazil, Argentina and Spain to make it to the semis.
After that I don't have a clue who to go for.

Viking

I'm gonna be rooting for the americans this time round. Aron Johannsson represents country and Mikkel Diskerud represents club.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 22, 2014, 10:37:38 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 22, 2014, 09:53:14 PM

That's pretty much my thinking too. Our good players are old and slow and most of the rest of the squad aren't rated. It feels like the team is in a transition from the Old Guard to the New. Luckily, Bradley (our best player) is in his prime and has at least one more World Cup to look forward to.

If we get one point out of the group stage I'll consider it a moral victory.  :lol:

We could do better than expected, but I sure wouldn't want to have to bet on it.  I actually figure Ghana and Germany to advance from the group.

Josephus

No comments on Champions League final?

Felt bad for Atletico, who were almost there. History will show this as a 4-1 loss but the game told a different story.

Civis Romanus Sum

Liep

Yeah, it was close, but it didn't really interest me this year. Madrid v. Madrid, meh.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk