And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on May 20, 2014, 09:31:09 AM
I'll go with England as usual.

Me too. Think it will be a short world cup for us.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

FWIW I think the Americans are becoming a decent team. But I am tired of American pundits going on about group of death. It's Germany and Portugal coming out of that group. America is just not better than either of those two teams.
Civis Romanus Sum

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on May 20, 2014, 04:14:49 PM
FWIW I think the Americans are becoming a decent team. But I am tired of American pundits going on about group of death. It's Germany and Portugal coming out of that group. America is just not better than either of those two teams.

Right.  It is a group that means the death of our chances at the knock out round or winning any matches.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Group D is equally deadly for the two lesser teams in it. Though, England might scrap home a win against Costa Rica.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Portugal. Less impressive than before. One injury to Ronaldo and they fall apart. Literally.
Germany has the best league on this continent on the whole. Will do well. Might win it.
Spain, always a gamble. Good players all around, will the team work?
England. No chance. Not this time.
France. Another gamble. Could be shite. Could do okayish. Won't win the trophy.
Italy. The Serie A hasn't been this weak for a long, long time. Won't do much.
Russia. Nope. Should work on their tans.
Belgium. Best team they have had since 1986. Could do something.
Croatia. Always a side with flair, never a winner. Much like the Ustache.
Bosnia-Hercegovina. Makeweights. Some good ball players. Liked them at Ullevål a couple of years ago.
Switzerland. Neutral.
The Netherlands. Love the people, used to love the team. Not going to win it, but might go far.
Greece. Will become deep in depth after buying tickets.

European teams for WC 2014 thoroughly analysed.

The Larch

After three consecutive big tournament wins we're still a gamble?  :P

Norgy

In my opinion, on Brazilian soil, yes. You could very well win it again, but I think Brazil or Argentina may have something to offer as well. Australia, Honduras, the US and Japan are the weakest sides, and couldn't get through a qualifying round in Europe ever.

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on May 20, 2014, 04:19:20 PM
Group D is equally deadly for the two lesser teams in it. Though, England might scrap home a win against Costa Rica.

Italy v England is the key game in that group.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on May 20, 2014, 04:30:51 PM

86 was my favourite world cup, closely followed by 94.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on May 20, 2014, 05:57:16 PM

86 was my favourite world cup

Mine too. Elkjær, Laudrup, Lerby, Olsen, Mølby, Arnesen. :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzFKmbBJfI

Closely followed by 98. Laudrup, Laudrup. :wub:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Quote from: mongers on May 20, 2014, 05:57:16 PM
Quote from: Norgy on May 20, 2014, 04:30:51 PM

86 was my favourite world cup, closely followed by 94.

I think I'd pick 2002, simply because the way my work schedule was set at the time meant that I got to see more matches that year than any other.

FunkMonk

2002 was my favorite too. Beat Portugal, Mexico, and lost only to the Germans in the quarterfinals.

The first World Cup I remember was 94 though. I was 10. Good times.  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

I'm happier about England given how much the team's changed since 2010 (has any other country in both changed the squad as much?). It seems a far better team and one that'll be far easier to support too :lol:

There doesn't seem to be any real expectations either and, so far, everyone seems to be willing to be relatively forgiving given that a lot of them are much younger. Which is nice.
Let's bomb Russia!