News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Fuck france and fuck deschamps! What a shit manager!"

As written on twitter by Nasri's girlfriend. Besides the fact that Nasri is a pretty good footballer I think it's is the right move for France to leave him out as apparently he's quite a strain on the team cohesion.

And even if it was fun to see the total disintegration of the French national team it'll just be sad a second time. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Does anybody follow dutch footie? The Netherlands' squad, besides half a dozen veterans, seems to be made up entirely by newcomers.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2014, 05:13:34 PM
Does anybody follow dutch footie? The Netherlands' squad, besides half a dozen veterans, seems to be made up entirely by newcomers.

We've got an even weaker defense than usual this time, due to injuries.
It forced the coach to adopt a new playing style, which he says carries significant risks.

So basically we won't make it past the group phase  :(

miozozny

Not that many veteran non-injured good dutch players around...

miozozny

Quote from: Maladict on May 13, 2014, 05:55:22 PM

Probably not, tough group phase again...though until 2012 they survived all groups of death. Not that that meant they got far of course...

The Larch

It forced the coach to adopt a new playing style, which he says carries significant risks.

Who is injured? Heitinga, Van der Wiel, Bouhlarouz, Mathijsen? Only two defenders are older than 24 y.o., and the one with more caps has barely 20, and that's possibly the line where a veteran can make the bigger impact. What about Steelekenburg, is he injured too? Barring surprises that is a really shaky, no-name defence indeed. In the midfield, besides three veterans, it's also mostly youngsters. The attack seems to be the only line whith the expected big names.

With Van Gaal as coach I was wondering if he wanted to do a clean slate and get rid of not essential veterans in order to build up for the future.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/12/england-world-cup-slogan-bus
Almost all of them are utterly baffling.

I do like Chile's though: 'Chi Chi Chi!, Le Le Le! Go Chile'.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 13, 2014, 07:26:29 PM

Germany

One nation, one team, one dream!

That's not a spoof article ? :

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

I was gonna post that FIFA slogan thing but Sheilbh beat me to it  :lol:

USA's is pretty derpy:
QuoteUNITED BY TEAM, DRIVEN BY PASSION

But Australia's is probably the best (and by best I mean worst):
QuoteSOCCEROOS: HOPPING OUR WAY INTO HISTORY!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 13, 2014, 07:26:29 PM

Holland

Real men wear orange

Oh my :lol:

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2014, 06:57:08 PM

Who is injured? Heitinga, Van der Wiel, Bouhlarouz, Mathijsen? Only two defenders are older than 24 y.o., and the one with more caps has barely 20, and that's possibly the line where a veteran can make the bigger impact. What about Steelekenburg, is he injured too? Barring surprises that is a really shaky, no-name defence indeed. In the midfield, besides three veterans, it's also mostly youngsters. The attack seems to be the only line whith the expected big names.

With Van Gaal as coach I was wondering if he wanted to do a clean slate and get rid of not essential veterans in order to build up for the future.

The biggest problems are Strootman and Van der Wiel. Especially Strootman, there is nobody to replace him really.
It looks like we'll be playing 5-2-3 now.

Josquius

Havenaar left out of the Japanese squad :(
██████
██████
██████