News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Arsenal's drop in form is astonishing, but after Ramsey, Walcott, and Ozil died, can't say it wasn't expected.

It would be interesting to see Arsenal win the FA Cup but end up with 5th place in the league.  :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

celedhring

Isn't Arsenal's schtick to fade away in the last third of the season?

Winning the FA would break the trophy duck, at least.

Warspite

We faded in the last third of 2007/08, our recent schtick has been to scrape CL qualification.

To throw away our position at the top of the league with 2 points from 12 has me utterly baffled.

I've never been a member of the WOB (Wenger Out Brigade) but I'm seriously questioning what in the name of God he is doing right now with the team. We have our best attacking outlets injured, yet he persists with the same intricate offensive orientation that yields only sterile possession. As a result, teams don't fear our attack and can focus on easy counter-attacking strategies that we find it very difficult to defend against with our slow defensive midfielders.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

Wenger is one of the best managers going. With a fraction of the funds and fan base of the other big teams he has kept Arsenal consistantly one of the top teams in the country.
I really respect Arsenal for sticking with him where most teams have a revolving door of managers.
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2014, 10:21:09 AM
Wenger is one of the best managers going. With a fraction of the funds and fan base of the other big teams he has kept Arsenal consistantly one of the top teams in the country.
I really respect Arsenal for sticking with him where most teams have a revolving door of managers.

And now with the transfer and wage budget to take on the big players, remind me who he brought in during our January injury crisis?

A crocked attacking midfielder

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

celedhring

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 07, 2014, 10:15:20 AM
Isn't Arsenal's schtick to fade away in the last third of the season?
I think that's more Spurs' role. And this season they are doing it spectacularly :o

QuoteEverton uber alles
:hug:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

It appears that I will be in Barcelona on the last weekend of October. In case that Barcelona has a home match that evening, how far in advance would it be advisable to buy a ticket?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on April 06, 2014, 05:32:41 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 06, 2014, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: Warspite on April 06, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
:ultra:

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

:ultra: :ultra:

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

No wonder they didn't do well, fielding a team of madmen, including two too many on the pitch and who's ever had success with a 3-2-7 formation.  :hmm:

:lol:

I'm ashamed to say that I had to read this twice to get the joke, but still... :lol:

Thanks for that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on April 07, 2014, 11:24:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2014, 10:21:09 AM

And now with the transfer and wage budget to take on the big players, remind me who he brought in during our January injury crisis?

A crocked attacking midfielder

One of Wenger's great managerial traits is his almost absurd level of confidence in his trusted players. Possibly his greatest fault is his almost absurd level of confidence in his trusted players.

That said, following this collapse, I expect he'll buy big this summer. Striker, midfielder, and defender. Striker because holy hell they need another option other than Giroud and ?????, a midfielder because of the inevitable injury crisis and Wenger loves collecting midfielders anyway, and a defender or two for when Vermaelen and/or Sagna leave in the summer. Striker and defender are most important though.

Anything less will be a failed summer IMO.

Hopefully an FA Cup can tide the fans over after a 5th place finish.  :mellow:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 07, 2014, 01:17:22 PM
Hopefully an FA Cup can tide the fans over after a 5th place finish.  :mellow:
I think Arsenal are still more likely to get 4th.

But will Wenger carry on?
Let's bomb Russia!