News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on April 01, 2014, 12:54:30 PM
Why is Liverpool seen so negatively when you have clubs like Chelsea and both Mancunian teams?

Yeah, that's a head scratcher for me as well, as Liverpool is generally seen in a positive light over here. Must be the Benítez legacy, plus the fact that until a few years ago some of the best Spanish players played there. I guess that not being exposed daily to their fans must play a part of that.  :lol:

Btw, our former star Iago Aspas plays there right now, after a juicy transfer last summer, so at least over here we're grateful to them for such a generous influx of cash.  :)

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 01, 2014, 05:47:05 PM
Why is Liverpool seen so negatively when you have clubs like Chelsea and both Mancunian teams?

Yeah, that's a head scratcher for me as well, as Liverpool is generally seen in a positive light over here. Must be the Benítez legacy, plus the fact that until a few years ago some of the best Spanish players played there. I guess that not being exposed daily to their fans must play a part of that.  :lol:

I dislike Liverpool exactly because of that. The whole "Spanish Liverpool" hype in our media was extremely irritating :D

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Well we dislike them too :lol:

They're a lot like Man United: a team whose Home Counties fanbase has an overwhelming sense of entitlement and a chip on their shoulder. Unlike United they haven't actually been that good in the past few years.

But they're just gobby. They never lose because they were poor, it's a refs' conspiracy with Ferguson to keep LFC down. They beat Tranmere Rovers in a pre-season friendly and they'll be all 'we're gonna win the league' for the next week.

If they actually win the league :ph34r: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I don't think man utd are as disliked. They always win and their fans are traditionally glory seekers but man utd were always our team in Europe. There was much more of an impression that they were successful because they were good and tried hard rather than say Chelsea which just threw more and more good money after bad until success came their way.
Pre Chelsea then certainly man utd were the hated ones, but post Chelsea.... We realised there were much worse things in this world than a team full of great homegrown talent, loved by referees.

Liverpool though..... I think it's something about  many scousers  in general too. They have this huge chip on their shoulder about being eclipsed by Manchester and today being merely a top 10 English city rather than the far and away second only to London, capital of all that is good, that they believe they should be.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

For anyone over 40, we grew up with Liverpool winning everything and gathering legions of fans outside of Merseyside. Fans of clubs like Norwich were deprived of their one chance to play in Europe due to Heysel. And many Liverpool fans are just deeply irritating with their pathetic conspiracy theories as the Suarez/Evra incident showed.

That said, I'd guess that Chelsea and Man Utd are both more hated than Liverpool.

katmai

Quote from: Gups on April 02, 2014, 02:14:02 AM

For anyone over 40, we grew up with Liverpool winning everything and gathering legions of fans outside of Merseyside.

This is why I know of the hate towards them, thanks for making me feel old Gups. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2014, 08:01:48 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 01, 2014, 05:47:05 PM

I dislike Liverpool exactly because of that. The whole "Spanish Liverpool" hype in our media was extremely irritating :D

Luckily there are so many Spanish players abroad nowadays that the media can't push them all down our throats anymore.  :lol:

celedhring

We've been slapped with a one year transfer ban  :bleeding:

I can't believe how absolutely awful this board has been.

Zanza

I feel a bit sorry about Marc ter Stegen. He's a really talented goalkeeper and now can't join your team.

celedhring

Aye, was really looking forward having him play for us.

Sigh.

FunkMonk

Lol @ Barcelona

Also, Liverpool is shit. I have it on good authority that it is in fact Arsenal that are the greatest team the world has ever seen.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 02, 2014, 07:31:26 AM

Sigh.

Start bracing for one more year of Pinto as a starter goalie.  :lol:

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on April 02, 2014, 10:51:39 AM

Sigh.

Ouch.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on April 02, 2014, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 02, 2014, 10:51:39 AM

Sigh.

Ouch.

Come on, he's a fairly decent keeper.  :P Maybe not first rate but he's surely dependable.  ;)