News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I know once Sheilbh convinced me to back Everton that Liverpool would finally win one  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2014, 05:36:22 PM
I know once Sheilbh convinced me to back Everton that Liverpool would finally win one  :lol:
the curse :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Norgy

Liverpool Football Club has a bit of a reputation in England. Not only were they dirty back in their day, they always got that penno that they complain Man Utd got when they were rampaging through the Premiership. The only club probably more universally disliked by other fans must be "Dirty Leeds". And to be fair, in the 70s, everyone was a dirty bastard.

Have a look at what Kenny Burns did for the supposedly clean-playing Forest side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NhFoXT9s8

LFC is playing some good football, but I can't for the life of me bring myself to enjoying it. They have the most annoying fans who feel victimised every time they lose. They go on and on about Hillsborough, which granted was a disaster, but at least their opponents in that game have been out of the Premier League for close to two decades.

I don't hate football clubs, but LFC comes fairly high on my dislike list.

Ed Anger

They were more fun when the centaur Andy Carroll was playing for them. IM A HORSE YOU SEE.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

I'm building a 'when Liverpool win the League' bunker. All welcome. Bring booze.

On the other hand now you're backing Everton you get to enjoy participating in Arsenal's annual panicked scrap for fourth place, one of the world's  great sporting traditions.

QuoteLiverpool Football Club has a bit of a reputation in England.
I've been up to see my family in Liverpool a couple of times recently. They haven't even won and they're already insufferable :bleeding:

The only upside to this is God willing they'll stop talking about Gerrard and the miracle in Istanbul.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

You'll never walk alone...to your bunker.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Do you have a Liverpudlian accent Shelf?

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2014, 06:54:36 AM
the miracle in Istanbul.
To be fair, that was one of the best football games I've ever seen.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on April 01, 2014, 11:01:00 AM
the miracle in Istanbul.
To be fair, that was one of the best football games I've ever seen.

I was even rooting for Liverpool towards the end  :Embarrass:

Gups

I'm building a 'when Liverpool win the League' bunker. All welcome. Bring booze.

On the other hand now you're backing Everton you get to enjoy participating in Arsenal's annual panicked scrap for fourth place, one of the world's  great sporting traditions.

QuoteLiverpool Football Club has a bit of a reputation in England.
I've been up to see my family in Liverpool a couple of times recently. They haven't even won and they're already insufferable :bleeding:

The only upside to this is God willing they'll stop talking about Gerrard and the miracle in Istanbul.

Most of my mates are Liverpool fans. I didn't think anything could be worse then listening them whine on and on with their chronic sense of entitlement and outsized shoulder chips.

I was wrong.

Agelastus

:sticks head over parapet:

I'm a Liverpool supporter.

:waves flag slightly self-consciously:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Zanza

Why is Liverpool seen so negatively when you have clubs like Chelsea and both Mancunian teams?

Zanza

"United have made 10 changes to the starting lineup that won the final against Bayern in 1999"

Ryan Giggs is really a legend by now. And old.  :bowler:

Agelastus

Quote from: Zanza on April 01, 2014, 12:54:30 PM
Why is Liverpool seen so negatively when you have clubs like Chelsea and both Mancunian teams?

Well, while I sympathise with my fellow fans they do go on about Hillsborough a bit much (although unfortunately with a degree of justification given the actions of certain members of officialdom at the time, hence why I still have a little patience with it.) You don't hear Bradford fans going on about the fire to anything like the same degree. I also concur with the poster above that Liverpool fans have never got over the end of the winning era of the Seventies and Eighties and that this has led to behaviour that's "got up people's noses".

There's also Heysel (although I haven't heard the name for a few years; the constant refrain of Hillsborough seems to have killed it.) Now, it wasn't just Liverpool's fans that were the problem at the time but it was the last straw that led to English clubs being banned from European competition for the best part of a decade.

There's also the fact that Liverpool were arrogant in the Eighties, without having the tragedy in the background that Manchester United can brandish about whenever anyone starts thinking their arrogance gets out of hand (the Munich Air Disaster which still gets United sympathy to this day!) Manchester United has also always been strangely more popular than other teams; when I was at Junior School in Desborough Manchester United had at least a dozen fans in my class whereas Liverpool (who at the time were at the height of their dominance) only had two or three.

As for Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City they haven't really attracted the baggage that Manchester United or Liverpool have through the latter two clubs winning streaks. British fans don't seem to mind massive influxes of foreign money to other clubs, presumably because they live in the hope of it happening to their side

I must admit if Liverpool do win the League I shall have to raise a glass in apology to Brendan Rogers (described by myself as a "one plan wonder") and to Liverpool's current owners ("why have they hired a one plan wonder") since they will have proved me wrong in the most decisive fashion possible.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son