News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2014, 06:29:55 AM
Was those two goals by Litmanen? He can't be more than 45, surely he's still playing.

43, actually, but already retired. He played until he was 40, though.

Liep

Quote from: Warspite on March 07, 2014, 07:04:32 AM
What a surprise that a key Arsenal player gets injured on international duty in the run up to the most important part of the season. Fuck these friendlies.
Is it a surprise that it was a Liverpool player who injured him? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

It's Wilshere who we are talking about. You should always assume he's injured unless there's been an accident of some sorts.

Such a pity though, all that talent might go to waste since he's made of glass.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Warspite on March 07, 2014, 07:04:32 AM
What a surprise that a key Arsenal player gets injured on international duty in the run up to the most important part of the season. Fuck these friendlies.

Even more shocking it was a Jack Wheelchair.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

I'm going to spend tonight stealing hub caps in Islington.

Or drinking heavily. Whichever's easiest.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

The writing increasingly seems to be on the wall for international football. People care less and less and stuff like this..
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

It's just friendlies, nobody gives a fuck about club friendlies, what should they care more for international ones? The world will be out in force for the WC.

FunkMonk

After City lost today, it looks like Arsenal are the favorites to win the FA Cup this year and could finally win a trophy after 9 years. Their only competition are Championship sides and Hull so--

Oh.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

Bayern continues to stomp over the Bundesliga competition. They are like Celtic Glasgow this season.

Sheilbh

Is this a new tradition, like City's annual 1-0 loss to Sunderland? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2014, 04:29:37 AM
It's just friendlies, nobody gives a fuck about club friendlies, what should they care more for international ones? The world will be out in force for the WC.
They used to matter.
Playing for England (or whoever) was the big deal that everyone aspired to.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2014, 05:20:59 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2014, 04:29:37 AM
They used to matter.
Playing for England (or whoever) was the big deal that everyone aspired to.

International friendlies are the closest thing to competetive matches that can be used to evaluate players, see how the gel, get them to gel etc.

You can't show up to the world cup and meet your striking partner for the first time at the airport.

But to be honest I'd be pissed if Eden Hazard got injured playing a friendly for Belgium, just like I'd get pissed if Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson got injured playing a friendly for Tottenham.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Beenherebefore

I'm cheering for Nigel Clough's Sheffield United (a team I would normally loathe) and hope Our Number Nine gets the medal that was denied him in 1991 as a player.
The artist formerly known as Norgy