News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

My point was just that despite Brazil being famous for being amazing at football its keepers are one area where it isn't particularly reknowned.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Julio César is a quality goalkeeper though, and it's a World Cup year so he won't lazy it up.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2014, 09:12:36 AM
My point was just that despite Brazil being famous for being amazing at football its keepers are one area where it isn't particularly reknowned.

True. Though he did win several scudettos and a champions league.

Luck, probably.  ;)

Look, no one's saying he's the best goalie ever....but he was pretty good, and still is.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2014, 01:14:57 PM
Julio César is a quality goalkeeper though, and it's a World Cup year so he won't lazy it up.

that's the only reason he's here now. He wasn't getting playing time at QPR and needs game time before WC, so yeah, he'll be at his best, at least until June
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Yesterday was the FA cup. There was a lot of talk on Sunderland fan sites about fixture congestion in March, which would become worse if we drew that game and had to replay. Luckily we won. But I then read a pre-match inteview with our head coach where he said he would rather lose than draw.
That got me thinking.
I was wondering about a theoretical. Neither side particularly care about a cup competition and want to lose. Would there be any fines or genuine negative treatment by the FA if both tried to lose? (fans would of course be pissed off) Has such a thing ever happened?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Too bad the World Cup is not being played in Gaul.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 11:18:55 PM

Too bad the World Cup is not being played in Gaul.

Good that it's not being played in March, though.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2014, 10:26:29 PM
Yesterday was the FA cup. There was a lot of talk on Sunderland fan sites about fixture congestion in March, which would become worse if we drew that game and had to replay. Luckily we won. But I then read a pre-match inteview with our head coach where he said he would rather lose than draw.
That got me thinking.
I was wondering about a theoretical. Neither side particularly care about a cup competition and want to lose. Would there be any fines or genuine negative treatment by the FA if both tried to lose? (fans would of course be pissed off) Has such a thing ever happened?

It'll never happen. Teams always play to win. It's in their nature. Some teams, as happens often, may rest top players or those carrying a knock around, but the 11 on the field always play to win.
Civis Romanus Sum

The Larch

Some bastard shot a tear gas cannister into my team's game yesterday.   :wacko:

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2014, 11:14:22 AM
Some bastard shot a tear gas cannister into my team's game yesterday.   :wacko:

I LOVE SOCCER FANS.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Bucky beaver looks like he got shot in that picture.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Great win at the Etihad tonight. To be frank given our decline these past months and City's form was fearing it would get ugly. But we aren't finished yet.

Josephus

You got a red card on a play that just maybe wasnt a penatly.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on February 16, 2014, 09:01:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2014, 10:26:29 PM
That got me thinking.

It'll never happen. Teams always play to win. It's in their nature. Some teams, as happens often, may rest top players or those carrying a knock around, but the 11 on the field always play to win.
Yeah, of course they could always just throw out the youth team and ignore it.
But still, I wonder about the theoretical.
██████
██████
██████