Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

Iceland - Croatia

Modric and crew against the man who replaced him at Spurs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Viking on October 21, 2013, 08:13:52 AM
Iceland - Croatia

Portugal-Sweden
Ukraine-France
Greece-Romania

So no game between Portugal and France but Sweden is not exactly easier to play, but then they wanted Iceland too.
Iceland can make it.
Greece-Romania is very open but I expect a tedious match.
Evra will perhaps be spared the Ukrainian cold weather given the recent polemic and that could be a bonus for the French squad which never lost against Ukraine, yet.

PS : Evra insulted some French sport journos and managed to look sillier than them.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

What UB Smokin' ESPN

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/992?cc=5739

QuoteIceland vs. Croatia

If not the fixture with the most exciting names, that in itself makes it the most exhilarating story. Should Iceland qualify, they will become the smallest nation in history to qualify for the World Cup. Here, they have at least been fortunate to have drawn probably the weakest of the seeds. Croatia have not won in five qualifiers, lost to Scotland twice in that period and have just sacked their manager. In contrast to their chaos, Iceland are a young side in a clearly upward curve. They stormed into second in an admittedly weak group with some brave performances, led by the likes of Tottenham Hotspur's Gylfi Sigurdsson. While many of these playoffs could be gripped by tension, this has the feel of one that could be fired by a sense of opportunity.

History awaits, unless Croatia can prevent a recurrence of the recent histrionics.

Prediction: Iceland
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Germany announced that it will apply to host the 2024 EC. :)

Ed Anger

Newcastle wears black stripes
Sunderland wears red stripes

On Tv, they look almost the same.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2013, 10:18:55 AM

You should buy a colour one.   ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2013, 10:18:55 AM

Yeah that was tough to watch.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

What, no comments on Barcelona beating RM?

I wonder how many stabbings there were as a result.

Ed Anger

I don't watch greasy spaniards.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Bet you would if they had frosting on them.

Josquius

QuoteNewcastle wears black stripes

It was weird. Usually they make the away team switch to white shorts but not this time for some reason.

Yesterday was an unexpected spot of happiness just when things were looking blackest. Perhaps there is hope afterall.
I was watching with a bunch of Japanese people. They agreed to support Sunderland as long as Ki stayed on the bench.  Quite humerously in the same pub there looked to be a Newcastle supporter with his presumably Japanese and non-football appreciating girlfriend. His quick departure after the game was sweet.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Sunderland will be unbeatable now that they have the support of the Holy Father  :pope:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-24669218