News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'd agree with the European cup is harder assessment.
In the world cup you generally have  a few easy games for the team to gel and get used to the local conditions too.
The world cup has more good teams but by the nature of the competitions structure you're unlikely to eve  meet most  of them. It's the mediocre teams rather than crap team  in the early stages that does it.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

The Bendtner Transfer Saga is getting more coverage here than the astronomical deal sending Bale to Madrid. Right now Arsenal is giving him away for free and are willing to pay him extra money to take a deal. Right now he's apparently close to a deal with Crystal Palace.

He will fail, will Bale fail, too? It'll be tough to be more successful than Ronaldo.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2013, 05:24:56 PM
Ozil? To Arsenal?

Warspite's pants are a dairy factory.

The Wenger master plan is slowly being revealed. Not all roses though; still couldn't get another striker, but Walcott, Podolski, Sanogo, and my favorite Arsenal player of all time Nicklas Bendtner are serviceable backups.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Not a Gunners fan, but in any case don't think they needed another striker. I think they're good up front. What they needed was a good creative playmaker to get the ball out to Walcott and Geroud. I think they found that in Ozil. Good move.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Losing 3-1 right now to Costa Rica. The US midfield is total shit without Bradley. :(

Josephus

Damn my Maltese almost got a point off Denmark!
Civis Romanus Sum

dps

Apparantly, Mexico fired their coach after the loss to Honduras, or maybe he resigned--ESPN's report wasn't quite clear on that point, but the implication seemed to be that he was fired.

Warspite

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 02, 2013, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2013, 05:24:56 PM
Ozil? To Arsenal?

Warspite's pants are a dairy factory.

:yeah:

Ozil is a wonderful player, and finally replaces Cesc (and is two years younger). It's nice to have options in midfield again.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

USA v Mexico tonight  :licklips:
I'll be in my Labor Economics class tonight :bleeding:

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 10, 2013, 10:13:07 PM
Mexico are fucked. :o

Nah, they are tied for the playoff spot with Panama. Panama plays Mexico and the US, Mexico plays Panama and Jamaica. I bet they get the playoff spot, which they should win (against New Zealand). Mexico should be sweating it though.

It is too bad the US didn't convert that late PK tonight; that would have put them behind Panama on goal differential.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2013, 10:39:20 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 10, 2013, 10:13:07 PM
Mexico are fucked. :o

Nah, they are tied for the playoff spot with Panama. Panama plays Mexico and the US, Mexico plays Panama and Jamaica. I bet they get the playoff spot, which they should win (against New Zealand). Mexico should be sweating it though.

It is too bad the US didn't convert that late PK tonight; that would have put them behind Panama on goal differential.

The table I saw had them below Panama, but it could have been incorrect.

Still, they SHOULD make the 4th spot, and SHOULD win a playoff against fucking Oceania FFS, but the way they played last night, it makes me worry for them.  :(

Valmy

Suck it Mexico! We are going to brazil. We are going to Brazil. We are going, we are going, we are going to Brazil!

Man Mexico looked just horrible yesterday, they excelled at really nothing but flopping.  They are probably going to have to win a playoff with Oceania or something to qualify.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."