News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 05, 2013, 02:44:35 PM
Surely tracing your family / local history to whichever region if England is the correct way to go. :bowler:

That would mean I would have to be a Liverpool fan :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

VALMY IS A SCOUSER!

Lets laugh at him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2013, 02:48:34 PM
Surely tracing your family / local history to whichever region if England is the correct way to go. :bowler:

Or Everton.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on August 06, 2013, 03:14:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2013, 02:48:34 PM

Or Everton.

Ewwwww.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on August 05, 2013, 03:05:02 PMI'd rather go analogy to city and culture so you get the same emotional relationship you have towards your american sports team to your english soccer one.

Or, you could do it the scandinavian way. Every single scandinavian person has an english team, even if they are not soccer fans. It is either determined by some emotional connection to some city in england or some event in england or some person from england, or it is inherited from family (e.g. my dad loved coventry, so I love coventry, and if I ever go to england I will go to a coventry game!!!!!111111oneoneone) or it is the home team in the first full game you watched on tv. That last one is surprisingly arbitrary, but apparently completely binding.

BTW, referring to the first of the scandinavian reasons, when Newcastle Brown Ale started becoming popular in norway 20 years ago the amount of magpie fans increased massively.

Exactly.

However many years ago when I was nine or so we were watching the game at my mate's house while and there was this one guy on the team whose play style and heart I liked and since then the Spurs have been the team for me in the English league (this was before the EPL was a thing).

Ed Anger

I just pick whoever tickles my fancy. Like when I was a kid and Bobby Knight was yelling at everybody. Right then, I like Hoosier basketball.

Valmy

I found this far more entertaining than I probably should: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on August 06, 2013, 03:19:36 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 05, 2013, 03:05:02 PMI'd rather go analogy to city and culture so you get the same emotional relationship you have towards your american sports team to your english soccer one.

Or, you could do it the scandinavian way. Every single scandinavian person has an english team, even if they are not soccer fans. It is either determined by some emotional connection to some city in england or some event in england or some person from england, or it is inherited from family (e.g. my dad loved coventry, so I love coventry, and if I ever go to england I will go to a coventry game!!!!!111111oneoneone) or it is the home team in the first full game you watched on tv. That last one is surprisingly arbitrary, but apparently completely binding.

BTW, referring to the first of the scandinavian reasons, when Newcastle Brown Ale started becoming popular in norway 20 years ago the amount of magpie fans increased massively.

Exactly.

However many years ago when I was nine or so we were watching the game at my mate's house while and there was this one guy on the team whose play style and heart I liked and since then the Spurs have been the team for me in the English league (this was before the EPL was a thing).

Ginola? Gazza?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on August 06, 2013, 04:12:10 PMGinola? Gazza?

It was in the early 80s - maybe 82 or 83, so it was before either of those two. I never did learn his name....

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on August 06, 2013, 04:18:52 PM

It was in the early 80s - maybe 82 or 83, so it was before either of those two. I never did learn his name....

I was going to post as much, but my browser swallowed it. 

Maybe Hoddle or perhaps Chris Waddle ?

edit:
maybe check out the 1980s section on this wiki, could be one of those:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Ardiles?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Ok so...if I were to live in the Ellesmere Port area which club would I be supporting?  Everton?  Liverpool?  Other?

And I mean Premier League not whatever two bit local bunch I would be watching.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on August 06, 2013, 04:25:00 PM

Ardiles?

Ricardo Villa