Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

This is just a warm up anyway, right?

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on June 30, 2013, 06:38:00 PM

Yeah, better luck next year. But Gene Hackman will have made his guys even better by then.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on June 30, 2013, 06:44:25 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 30, 2013, 06:38:00 PM

Yeah, better luck next year. But Gene Hackman will have made his guys even better by then.

I think that a Mourinho-less year of Spanish footie will work wonders in the spirit of the national team for detoxing purposes, so I hope we'll also be better by then.  :lol:

Josquius

So, Yanks;
how do you rate this Altidore  fellow?
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

He's still young so don't expect the world from him. Watching the Dutch league is pretty much impossible in 'Murrica but from the clips I've seen of him recently and his recent performances for the national team, he is definitely improving. Honestly can't see the national team performing without him right now.
He's strong and his link up play is decent I think. Also he doesn't seem to dawdle on the ball or make as many bad decisions as he used to. He's only 23 so he's only going to improve, I hope. I'll be rooting for Sunderland this season.
:cheers:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Hope he does turn out well... It has been our way in recent seasons to blow vast sums on supposed hot young stars only for them to turn out to be mediocre at best and their careers to go nowhere.
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Dempsey Transfer listed by Spurs.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on July 11, 2013, 06:33:04 PM
Dempsey Transfer listed by Spurs.

He should go to Sunderland and link up with Jozy.  :lol:

Sunderland. America's Team. Make it happen Tyr.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

clandestino

Seattle Sounders have lent Fredy Montero to the club I support.

To the Americans: is he any good?

It seems he was on loan also last year, so I'm not that hopeful. :unsure:

Jacob

Quote from: clandestino on July 22, 2013, 06:38:47 PM

Whoa!

Haven't seen you around for a while! Welcome back :cheers:

... as for Fredy: no idea.

clandestino

katmai

Quote from: clandestino on July 22, 2013, 06:38:47 PM

I think they sold him to you guys?

He's been a streaky striker in MLS for Seattle, after the end of the MLS season (in Oct) he went on loan back home in Colombia and right before the start of this years MLS  campaign he was sold.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

clandestino

Quote from: katmai on July 22, 2013, 07:23:17 PM

I think they sold him to you guys?

He's been a streaky striker in MLS for Seattle, after the end of the MLS season (in Oct) he went on loan back home in Colombia and right before the start of this years MLS  campaign he was sold.

According to the papers over here, he was lent with a buy-in clause. No values revealed so far.

Anyway, Sporting is not on a buying streak, being with a few financial problems and atempting to sell or loan anyone with a high pay check. Of course business in soccer can be quite obscure around here, but being valued in the stock exchange makes it less likely.

I don't think they are buying him so far, money is being kept tight this season. The team so far seems to be made of youngsters and a few signings that will only cover the positions options. From what you're telling me this seems the case. He'll be a backup striker, although so far Sporting doesn't have anyone that will be holding that position for sure, so he might see some play, at least in the beggining of the season, unless they get a decent striker/ forward.

Edit: removed a we when refering to the club. :P