News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

This combined with Tim Cahill makes me want to support the Red Bulls devotedly :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2013, 11:15:50 AMSomeone doesn't follow MLS i see <_<

Dynamo
Earthquakes
Fire
Rapids
Sounders
Timbers
Whitecaps
Impact
Galaxy
Red Bulls
Revolution
Chivas

... okay, not many fierce animals but they still have that distinctly North American sports team flavour going (which is a perfectly fine thing for North American sports team to have).

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2013, 11:04:38 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 21, 2013, 10:08:29 AM
Looks like Manchester City and New York Yankees are joining forces to run New York Football Club, the 20th team in MLS.

New York FC?

The name doesn't sound very MLS. Shouldn't it be the New York Big Money or the New York Nukes or something? Or at least have some sort of tough sounding animal as part of their name?

I don't follow MLS at all, but even I know there is already a Toronto FC, and several other teams have very Euro-sounding names (DC United, Sporting Kansas City).

Personally I think its silly - they're apeing european traditions that don't exist in north america, but I guess it is working for them...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

The peeps behind New York Cosmos must be pissed. Didn't they resurrect that franchise with the expectation they'll join the MLS?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on May 21, 2013, 12:19:30 PM
The peeps behind New York Cosmos must be pissed. Didn't they resurrect that franchise with the expectation they'll join the MLS?
I think that was their ultimate goal, and yeah this has to kill that or really really damage if this goes through, but how can they compete with the money those two franchises bring to table.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2013, 11:43:32 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2013, 11:15:50 AMSomeone doesn't follow MLS i see <_<

Dynamo
Earthquakes
Fire
Rapids
Sounders
Timbers
Whitecaps
Impact
Galaxy
Red Bulls
Revolution
Chivas

... okay, not many fierce animals but they still have that distinctly North American sports team flavour going (which is a perfectly fine thing for North American sports team to have).
12 of 19 teams do follow the structure yes, but as Beeb points out that shows  a decent amount following the European naming, and besides it's not like the European clubs don't have nicknames, they just aren't part of the official name.

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2013, 12:38:44 PM
12 of 19 teams do follow the structure yes, but as Beeb points out that shows  a decent amount following the European naming, and besides it's not like the European clubs don't have nicknames, they just aren't part of the official name.

... and that's totally fine :)

katmai

Stop trying to pick i fight with me Dane! :ultra:

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2013, 12:58:28 PM

Well, I do think it's silly to have a Real that's not in any way connected to royalty, or a United that was not formed by an amalgamation of two or more clubs.

katmai

Imitation is sincerest form of flattery, dammit!

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2013, 01:16:30 PM

Well, I do think it's silly to have a Real that's not in any way connected to royalty, or a United that was not formed by an amalgamation of two or more clubs.

Or a "Club" whether "Sporting", "Football" or "Racing" which is not nor ever has been a club.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on May 21, 2013, 01:22:55 PM

Or a "Club" whether "Sporting", "Football" or "Racing" which is not nor ever has been a club.

Club is often colloquially used to refer to a pro sports team.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

If he wasn't a dirty furriner he'd know that.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2013, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 21, 2013, 01:22:55 PM

Club is often colloquially used to refer to a pro sports team.

Yes and? Is this some imputation that I don't know what the word means or that I don't understand this concept? Of course I understand this concept I find it stupid which is why I am bitching about it.

Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2013, 01:29:15 PM
If he wasn't a dirty furriner he'd know that.

When I 'were a lad growing up in the wilds of Palo Alto California I too learned to do many silly things. Among those things was learning that Sports Franchises are sometimes referred to as clubs colloquially. I don't mind that very much, since this just happens and people are stupid. What I do mind and what I do find stupid is formally naming sports franchises one sort of club or another. I mind this because they are not nor ever have been clubs.

Clubs are features of amateur sports. Many pro-sports teams can in my view justifiably call themselves clubs if they were at some point in their history membership associations.

Sigh.. I've spent too much time and effort answering a stupid point, I know.. but dammit somebody on the internet was wrong.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai