News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2013, 08:05:08 PM
I think his hand may have been forced a bit. A few newspapers reported that he was seriously considering it (led by the Telegraph) and given that United are a listed company they had to confirm/deny it quickly. I imagine the plan was for it all to happen after the season's finished.

Not sure I follow your logic.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Given listed company, forced.

Sheilbh

The reports all said there's disclosure requirements for a listed company. Once it was in the media it probably forced their hand a bit and moved the announcement up a couple of weeks. They couldn't deny it because that'd be false, so they had to announce it though it may not have been at a time they'd have chosen.

Or it could've been meant to happen like this all along.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

I need to vent, regarding the real important soccer, my daughter's YMCA soccer team:

Every year the same great group of kids register for the same team, a couple of awesome players with some good ones and a few decent ones. They play great together, understand the basics, the positions, pass the ball, they have fun and they win. This year the coach was real nice, but had no clue. Despite the coach they won a bunch this season and they make it to the tourney.  Yesterday evening we start with the sun at the goalie's face and the other inferior team somehow manages to keep it tied at 2 by the half. At the second half our team is playing awesome but still tied. The coach decides to coast thru the last few minutes and change all the kids positions to give them the opportunity to play outside of their comfort zone. WTF?!  :mad: Time to teach and learn is over! This is the tournament!  :grr: The best offensive player as goalie?! My Nina the goalie as offense?! We lost the game in the last minute 3-2.  :glare: :(

UGH, but this also showed why I can't volunteer to be their coach, I had to walk away because the PTSD was about to kick in.  :blush:  :ph34r:
I hope I can behave tonight when we go for pizza. :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Warspite

The coach had no clue? On the contrary, positional fluidity (total football, if you will) is a hallmark of the modern game. :p
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

girls soccer run by ymca not the ywca?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Viking on May 10, 2013, 01:26:23 PM

Si, my town is small(ish) and only has a YMCA. They mean good, but some of the volunteer coaches suck.

I may look into the local adult leagues around here for myself. Mostly a bunch of drunk mexicans, but could be fun.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Viking

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 10, 2013, 01:29:17 PM

Si, my town is small(ish) and only has a YMCA. They mean good, but some of the volunteer coaches suck.

I may look into the local adult leagues around here for myself. Mostly a bunch of drunk mexicans, but could be fun.

don't you people have AYSO either?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Viking on May 10, 2013, 01:46:11 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 10, 2013, 01:29:17 PM

don't you people have AYSO either?

Soccer leagues? Yes, AYSO not in ths area. She will have it at school in a few years, for now the Y is a good start.

For me as an old fart, I know there is some kind of league in the area, I need to stop been lazy and get some kind of exercise.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

FunkMonk

FOX played the English FA Cup final on their main network, amazingly. I missed it, though that could have been a blessing in disguise because Gus Johnson's commentary has somehow gotten worse over the months.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 11, 2013, 02:15:20 PM
FOX played the English FA Cup final on their main network, amazingly. I missed it, though that could have been a blessing in disguise because Gus Johnson's commentary has somehow gotten worse over the months.

:huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on May 11, 2013, 04:59:02 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 11, 2013, 02:15:20 PM

:huh:

He's commentated a couple games over the past couple weeks that I have been able to watch.

To be honest, I think he was doing better when he first started as opposed to what he's done recently.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

In other news, Porto won vs Benfica yesterday by 2-1 (victory goal in stoppage time). One-point lead over Benfica so winning the final game will be enough to be champion. Last opponent is an unexpected Paços de Ferreira (surprise club near Porto which will  reach the Champions' League preliminary round).

Good news for Chelski I guess, playing a dispirited Benfica on Wednesday for the Europa League Final.

In France, Paris will be champion if they beat Lyon tonight. Otherwise, they'll have to wait a bit thanks to a 7-point lead. Zlatan may be on his way out, anyway.  :(