News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: katmai on January 30, 2013, 12:24:25 AM
QuoteTHE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) -- American forward Jozy Altidore was the target of racist chants Tuesday during AZ Alkmaar's 5-0 win over second-tier Den Boscha in the quarterfinals of the Dutch Cup.

Altidore, who is black, said he had never faced such serious abuse from the stands.

''There's nothing I can do about it,'' he told Dutch television's Eredivisie Live. ''All I can do is pray for them and hope they can become better people.''

Referee Reinold Wiedemeijer wanted to stop the match in the first half because of ''jungle sounds chanted at Altidore,'' according to AZ's official Twitter feed. But AZ players, including Altidore, who is black, persuaded him not to.

Wiedemeijer halted play briefly in the second half because of fans throwing balls of ice at his linesmen, according to the Dutch Eredivisie official Twitter feed and Dutch news website Nu.nl.

''It is terribly sad that this can happen for those involved and for lovers of football in the Netherlands,'' AZ soccer director Earnie Stewart, a former U.S. national team midfielder, told Dutch television's Eredivisie Live at halftime. ''You hear that and wonder what on earth is going on.''

Stewart said Den Bosch officials are ''ashamed'' of the fans involved. The club repeatedly urged its fans to halt the chants, to no avail.

Altidore scored one goal in AZ's 5-0 victory, increasing his total this season to a career-best 20, one more than in 2011-12. Den Bosch finished with nine men after two players were ejected.

Den Bosch are one of those teams that get promoted to the highest league every once in a decade and then get utterly trashed and relegated again. Their backward hicktown fans are all outraged and do what they do best, embarrass themselves. It's even more sad because it's only been a  few weeks since a linesman was kicked to death and everyone is supposedly on their best behaviour.

Josquius

Wait....the team is called.....The Bosch?
I can only assume it means something rather different over there?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2013, 04:34:55 AM

It's the name of the town, short for 's-Hertogenbosch.

FunkMonk

I found this pretty amusing. The English here might appreciate it more.  :D

http://youtu.be/h_f1N51Gv9c
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 29, 2013, 11:07:34 PM
Just watched the USA - Canada friendly and now I want to kill myself  :yucky:

Yeah...you guys sucked!
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on January 30, 2013, 01:58:34 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 29, 2013, 11:07:34 PM
Just watched the USA - Canada friendly and now I want to kill myself  :yucky:

Yeah...you guys sucked!

It's called playing down to the competition.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Yeah we sucked too....but you guys reallly sucked.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

I love Wikipedia.  :lol:

QuoteIgnacio "Nacho" Monreal Eraso (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈnatʃo monreˈal eˈɾaso]; born 26 February 1986) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Málaga CF as a left defender. He is currently on a plane to London. To sign for Arsenal, and on the plane he has had three shits, each time wiping his arse with a spurs shirt

QuoteHe is going to arsenal because Andre Santos revealed that he is in fact not an actual footballer

:lmfao:

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2013, 04:34:55 AM

Den Bosch literally means "The Forest" and 's Hertogenbosch means Dukes Forest.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Something a little unusual occurred down at Victoria Park on Saturday and it wasn't  just the fact that Hartlepool recorded a rare and very welcome victory.

Manager John Hughes' League One strugglers enjoyed just their second home win of the season in a 2-1 triumph over Notts County.

However, it wasn't so much the fact that the hosts recorded back-to-back victories for the first time in 17 months that made everyone sit up and take notice it was their goal scorers who caught the eye – well their names at least.

James Poole opened the scoring for the third tier's basement side before, and here it comes, Peter Hartley bagged a 70th minute winner after Jamal Campbell-Ryce had leveled for the visitors.

It's the first time both Hartley and Poole have been on the Hartlepool score sheet at the same time.

In fact defender Hartley has netted just eight times since signing for Pool from Sunderland in 2009, while striker Poole has found the net ten times in his 63 appearances for the club.
http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/03/hartley-and-poole-combine-to-make-hartlepools-day-3379171/
:bowler:
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Americans: Gus Johnson will start commentating select games on Fox Soccer starting next week with the Manchester United - Real Madrid Champions League tie.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 06, 2013, 02:38:35 PM
Americans: Gus Johnson will start commentating select games on Fox Soccer starting next week with the Manchester United - Real Madrid Champions League tie.  :lol:

A retard would be an improvement over some of those mush mouthed Brits.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

I like Gus and want him to grow and succeed as a soccer announcer. He's supposedly being groomed to call the 2018 World Cup on FOX.

I've read that Warren Barton will be co-commentating with him in the meantime. :bleeding:

katmai

Well at this rate USA won't be in WC for Gus to announce anyways.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on February 06, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
Well at this rate USA won't be in WC for Gus to announce anyways.

The world is not ready for Gus anyway. Every US game he would commentate would cause the stadium to explode in excitement and exultation and kill everyone in a mile radius.