News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

The pitch invasion and coin throwing was amazing.

Liverpool game got good.

American football incoming.

A good Sunday.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Messi just beat the old Gerd Müller record of goals scored in a year. He's at 90 right now, with still a few more games to go.

Pedrito

Juventus got Celtic in CL's round of 16  :)

There's a rather interesting Milan-Barcellona, and Real Madrid-Man Utd too  :menace:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

The first reference to football violence, and subsequent banning of the game? A 1314 proclamation by Edward II. Talk about proud tradition. :lol:

QuoteBetween 1314 and 1667, football was officially banned in England alone by more than 30 royal and local laws. King Edward II was so troubled by the unruliness of football in London that on April 13, 1314 he issued a proclamation banning it:

QuoteForasmuch as there is great noise in the city caused by hustling over large balls (grosses pelotes de pee) from which many evils may arise which God forbid; we command and forbid, on behalf of the King, on pain of imprisonment, such game to be used in the city in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempts_to_ban_football_games
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I enjoyed watching Newcastle almost give Man U a turd in the punchbowl.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 26, 2012, 01:43:16 PM

What the games over, it's only in it's 112th minute.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

how many fucking games will manure rescure from the gutter after the 90th minute. Annoying.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on December 26, 2012, 02:09:02 PM

how many fucking games will manure rescure from the gutter after the 90th minute. Annoying.

Yeah, but at least we then don't have to listen to him bitching about it:

Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson bemoans lack of added time

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is frustrated by the lack of injury time following his side's 3-2 defeat to Tottenham
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19774222 

FunkMonk

Arsenal - Newcastle was entertaining  :bowler: :bowler:

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 29, 2012, 03:01:47 PM
Arsenal - Newcastle was entertaining  :bowler: :bowler:

Lot of goals today, including an apparently enjoyable Stoke 3-3 Southampton:

QuoteThere have been a grand total of 35 Premier League goals today. You have to go back to 5 February 2011 - when there were 41 - to find a day with more.

The Larch

Messi just won, as expected, the Fifa Ballon d'Or for the 4th year in a row, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Andrés Iniesta rounding up the top 3. Del Bosque won best coach, with Guardiola and Mourinho behind him. Every single player in the World XI plays in the Spanish league (all but one for either Barcelona or Real Madrid). It's starting to get too one sided, come on ROTW, wake up and make things interesting! :P

FunkMonk

I eagerly await the day an American wins it. When I'm 87 years old.  :D

Liep

Guardiola is going to City this summer. We'll finally get to see whether he's a good manager or if just anybody could win 14 titles with the best team that ever was.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on January 13, 2013, 07:46:53 AM
Guardiola is going to City this summer. We'll finally get to see whether he's a good manager or if just anybody could win 14 titles with the best team that ever was.
Rumour mill was wrong. Now Bayern has confirmed a 4 year contract with Guardiola. Interesting.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Clint Dempsey. United killer.  :D