Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2012, 02:43:34 PM
That's who plays hockey - Canucks, slavss, and scandies. -_-

Miroslav Satan is cool.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Admiral Yi

Quote from: clandestino on September 05, 2012, 01:06:50 PM
Doesn't that happen as well in your sports? IE a group of players from the same country playing in the same team getting really close and sometimes clashing with the other team mates?

No.

I agree that it sounds absurd.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2012, 06:01:43 AM
Quote from: clandestino on September 05, 2012, 01:06:50 PM
Doesn't that happen as well in your sports? IE a group of players from the same country playing in the same team getting really close and sometimes clashing with the other team mates?

No.

I agree that it sounds absurd.
As BBoy says I think it's more often linguistic than nationalist.  So groups of Francophone players sticking together for example.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2012, 06:45:37 AM
As BBoy says I think it's more often linguistic than nationalist.  So groups of Francophone players sticking together for example.

The sticking together thing is not absurd.  The prison gang style clashing thing is absurd.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2012, 06:58:16 AM

The sticking together thing is not absurd.  The prison gang style clashing thing is absurd.

Nobody is saying that they're shanking each other in the showers.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2012, 06:58:16 AM

I think you've the wrong idea.  The correct comparison isn't a prison gang, but Mean Girls.

Plus I think it's kind of inevitable.  You get 20+ young men who are all very rich, competitive and able in the same room and there'll be clashes. 

The reverse happens on the national level when club loyalties can create conflict.  There's always been reports of splits in the England team between Chelsea players based in London and the Northern-based Man U and Liverpool players.  Something similar has, I believe, happened in Spain between Barca and Real players (not least stoked by Mourinho's performance art). 

What helps, in both situations, is if you have older, senior players who can take everyone aside and calm a situation down - which I think happened with Spain where, from what I've read Casillas and Xavi calmed the situation down.  Needless to say England's older statesman, like John Terry, haven't been quite so successful :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2012, 07:08:17 AM
The reverse happens on the national level when club loyalties can create conflict.  There's always been reports of splits in the England team between Chelsea players based in London and the Northern-based Man U and Liverpool players.  Something similar has, I believe, happened in Spain between Barca and Real players (not least stoked by Mourinho's performance art). 

What helps, in both situations, is if you have older, senior players who can take everyone aside and calm a situation down - which I think happened with Spain where, from what I've read Casillas and Xavi calmed the situation down.  Needless to say England's older statesman, like John Terry, haven't been quite so successful :lol:

Yup, a couple of seasons ago, on Mourinho's first year in Madrid, the rivalry got REALLY heated, and lots of people got seriously worried that it'd affect the atmosphere in the national team, where good locker room atmosphere had been cultivated for many years as a way to unite the team and was considered one of the main strengths and reasons why we won the WC (the dropping of the allegedly controversial Raúl in 2006 has been pointed out as the turning point for the national team, and controversial players have been routinely passed over since then, apparently one of the reasons why Valencia's Soldado wasn't called up for the last Euro).

So, when the rivalry was becoming ridiculous Casillas and Xavi met one day for dinner, talked it over and agreed that it was all BS and that they were not going to allow that to affect the national team. It seems that Casillas was not particulary fond of Mourinho's mind games and was never very cooperative in them, one of the reasons why Mourinho has never really liked him but there's no way that he can drop him from the team. In a way it's only natural that they're good buddies, they're roughly the same age and have been playing together with the national team since they were kids. For instance this is them in the lineup for the U-20 WC final in 1999.

Syt

I could have gotten a ticket for the World Cup Qualifier Austria-Germany through the company, but I politely declined, because it would have meant spending the evening with a rather obnoxious colleague I can't stand.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 11, 2012, 02:20:26 AM
I could have gotten a ticket for the World Cup Qualifier Austria-Germany through the company, but I politely declined, because it would have meant spending the evening with a rather obnoxious colleague I can't stand.

this reminded me of the old joke:

-There will be an Austria - Hungary match soon
-Who they are playing against?

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2012, 03:55:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 11, 2012, 02:20:26 AM

this reminded me of the old joke:

-There will be an Austria - Hungary match soon
-Who they are playing against?

The winner of the Denmark-Norway - Poland-Lithuania game.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

I'm seeing an upset in Italy today. Go Malta
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Well a 2-0 loss, right in injury time, is almost an upset.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

If the US men's team loses to Jamaica on this day of all days I will hate them forever.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.