News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

As an American plastic, after two weeks of the Barclays English Premier Soccer foot-to-ball League, I am going to say I am cautiously optimistic for the team that I support, the Arsenal Football Gunners of North Londontown oi oi.  :bowler: :bowler: :bowler: :bowler: :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on August 26, 2012, 01:54:09 PM
That's good to hear, as the team had been crazy looking for a winger for the last few weeks. He plays on the left, right?  :P

Yeah.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Andy Carroll leaves Liverpool for a season-long loan to West Ham. Sorry Ed. :(

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 31, 2012, 07:21:15 AM
Andy Carroll leaves Liverpool for a season-long loan to West Ham. Sorry Ed. :(

:(

No more Carroll endlessly bitching to the ref. No more Centaur clopping through the box. No more flops and ghostly injuries in the box at Anfield.

Oh well. I still have bucky beaver to make fun of.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Bendtner to Juventus. A new country in which our best forward won't get any game time. Wooo!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Warspite

I really hope it is not the case that Wenger thinks Song does not need replacing.  <_<
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch

My team just got a Korean striker on loan for Arsenal. Arkie, know anything about him? I see that he barely played during his only season there.

Viking

Quote from: Warspite on August 31, 2012, 08:09:19 AM
I really hope it is not the case that Wenger thinks Song does not need replacing.  <_<

I've been operating on the assumption that M'Vila was going to Arsenal. But I stopped making that assumption when Rennais sold Tettey to Norwich.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

The Premier League seems to be undergoing a 2nd Spanish fever (after the Liverpool one fueled by Benítez) this summer, with all kinds of players being signed there. Even 3rd rate teams like Swansea or QPR are spending big bucks in signing players who have never been full internationals, and I just heard that Man City wants to splash 30 million bucks in Javi García. Mind boggling.

FunkMonk

Spanish clubs need the money.

Warspite

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2012, 08:42:17 AM
My team just got a Korean striker on loan for Arsenal. Arkie, know anything about him? I see that he barely played during his only season there.

He played about 15 minutes (including at a game I was at - a Carling Cup game against Shrewsbury). Without question, he is one of the most mind-boggling transfers ever made by a top-flight football team.

But, he seems to deliver for the national team. So it's all the more confusing. I hope he gets back on track at your place.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2012, 09:14:23 AM

I've been operating on the assumption that M'Vila was going to Arsenal. But I stopped making that assumption when Rennais sold Tettey to Norwich.

There was a lot of talk about M'Vila heading over, but then I heard rumours that Wenger had gone sour on the deal due to his off-pitch behaviour.

The thing is, I really like Diaby as a player, although his through balls tend to be slightly over or under hit as to slow down play. But there is no way he's going to play a 50 game season. And then who do we have? Coqelin, who again looks a great promise but is inexperienced, and in the middle of the pitch inexperience leads to goals conceded.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

Quote from: Warspite on August 31, 2012, 12:47:18 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2012, 09:14:23 AM

There was a lot of talk about M'Vila heading over, but then I heard rumours that Wenger had gone sour on the deal due to his off-pitch behaviour.

The thing is, I really like Diaby as a player, although his through balls tend to be slightly over or under hit as to slow down play. But there is no way he's going to play a 50 game season. And then who do we have? Coqelin, who again looks a great promise but is inexperienced, and in the middle of the pitch inexperience leads to goals conceded.

There have been some rumors about that frog at newcastle, cabaye.

tbh last season arsenal seemed flimsy if anything. If diaby gets injured you don't have any defensive quality int he midfield left. I learned the true value of the defensive midfielder two seasons ago when we had Ghanean Anthony Annan at Rosenborg, he was always open to take a back pass and recycle an attack and he was always in position to disrupt a counter attack, we ran away with the league winning it with 5 games to go iirc, I never truely understood the Makalele role before then. Arsenal needs that more than any other team in the league given that the rest of the squad are little boys who can only go forward. (not to mention van Persie is gone).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 31, 2012, 10:56:58 AM
Spanish clubs need the money.

And English clubs have money to burn? I mean, Swansea just paid 7 millions for Pablo Hernández and QPR 12 millions for Esteban Granero. We're not talking about Chelsea (who paid another 7 for Azpilicueta) or City (who seem to want to pay 20 for Javi García). All of them are good players, but none of them is a great player, and those are all big bucks signings. Arsenal got Cazorla for 15 millions, that was a great signing.