Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Well 4-2 loss is better than the 7-0 in '09 :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Just came back from watching Toronto tie Liverpool 1-1.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Wow Liverpool must be bad if can only tie Toronto.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Only watched the first half when Liverpool played their youth squad. Still, decent result for Toronto.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 22, 2012, 12:02:05 AM
Only watched the first half when Liverpool played their youth squad. Still, decent result for Toronto.  :)

Toronto played their academy side in the second half. Liverpool's" first half youths" included: Alberto Aquilani, Jose Enrique, Charlie Adam and Jamie Carragher. They also had Skrtl and Cole

Just saying. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: katmai on July 21, 2012, 10:05:45 PM
Wow Liverpool must be bad if can only tie Toronto.
We can only hope :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Please do remember that pre-season games don't really matter when it comes to outcomes since. Managers are often tweaking teams trying out tactics and playing with players who often have varying levels of fitness.

But, most importantly, what the icelandic national team and scandinavian club sides have found out in the last 20 years. A well drilled, well organized team of motivated players of reasonable quality can hold their own against much better teams. Liverpool, Chelsea and ManU are not built to win games, they are built to win seasons.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Have to agree that pre-season friendlies tend not to matter.
If you watch the games you can see the players are clearly just treating it as more of a dress rehersal, a special training session, than a proper game.
That being said the way some of Sunderland's young players performed in our game against Gronginen bodes well for the future. I hope.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2012, 05:31:29 AM
That being said the way some of Sunderland's young players performed in our game against Gronginen bodes well for the future. I hope.

Haven't seen it but Groningen have been awfully weak for over a year now.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2012, 05:31:29 AM
Have to agree that pre-season friendlies tend not to matter.
If you watch the games you can see the players are clearly just treating it as more of a dress rehersal, a special training session, than a proper game.

So tell me this liverpool player was indifferent to his goal against Toronto. No one's arguing that it's not the Champions Cup final, but to say the players  are indifferent to the game is nonsense. Most of  these players are vying for a spot on the first team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTBTPPofbQ
Civis Romanus Sum

Ed Anger

Watched the Liverpool-Tottenham game from Baltimore. Total snoozefest.

Needed Andy Carroll doing a Ray Lewis dance. OR SOMETHING.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 28, 2012, 05:02:35 PM

Preseason games lololol

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2012, 05:30:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 28, 2012, 05:02:35 PM

Preseason games lololol

Also, that fuckhead on ESPN2 doing the Maryland capital joke repeatedly didn't help.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

The Mighty Red Bulls of "NY" are playing The Tottenham "Tots" Hotspur on ESPN2.

Tim Cahill's first game for NYRB. Interesting.

Viking

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 31, 2012, 06:08:42 PM
The Mighty Red Bulls of "NY" are playing The Tottenham "Tots" Hotspur on ESPN2.

Tim Cahill's first game for NYRB. Interesting.

How is local hero Jan Gunnar Solli doing at NYRB? He's probably playing center midfielder or right winger.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.