And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Goal of the year candidate that. Well Played Sir.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Pedrito

(dangerously near to relegation) Fiorentina's coach subs one player halfway through first half, the player applauds, the coach punches him.

Result: coach fired, Fiorentina draws, player bruised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QRrEvR3mw8

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on April 26, 2012, 01:07:54 PM
Real Madrid has paid 937 million Euro for transfers since they last won the Champion's League ten years ago...

Most of that in the last few years, in Florentino's 2.0 stage, and now they finally have a relevant title to show for it.

katmai

The Americans are coming......Again!
QuoteAmerican businessman set for Rangers takeover
The Associated Press – 2 hours 45 minutes ago

GLASGOW, Scotland (AP) The American businessman on the verge of buying Rangers vowed on Thursday to end the culture of financial mismanagement that brought one of Britain's biggest clubs to the brink of closure.

Bill Miller, the chairman of a Tennessee-based towing and recovery equipment company, was named as the preferred bidder for Scotland's most successful team after weeks of negotiations with its administrators.

The takeover is reportedly worth $18.1 million and should prevent the 140-year-old club, which has won a record 54 domestic league titles, from being liquidated after years of overspending under previous owners.

''What Rangers, which includes supporters, players, staff and anyone with the club at heart, have been put through, particularly in recent months, is a travesty and from what I can see they have been badly let down by a number of individuals,'' Miller said.

''This will not happen on my watch should I become the custodian of this great club.''

Rangers' joint administrator, Paul Clark, said he hopes the sale will be completed ''by the end of the current season,'' which finishes on the weekend of May 12-13.

''We believe that the structure of the bid from Mr. Miller provides not only the most deliverable outcome but preserves the history of the club,'' Rangers' joint administrator Paul Clark said. ''Rangers Football Club will continue as the football club it has been for 140 years.''

Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are among 10 English Premier League clubs under foreign ownership but neither Rangers nor Celtic - the biggest teams in Scotland - have ever been bought by overseas owners.

Rangers has been under the supervision of administrators since February when it entered bankruptcy protection following a long-running dispute with the tax authorities.

Its future has been at stake after falling into tax debts of $14 million since the takeover of Craig Whyte last May. The Glasgow club is also awaiting the verdict of a tax tribunal over long-standing contested liabilities of up to $119 million.

''Under my stewardship, Rangers will be managed with fiscal discipline such that the club not only conforms to UEFA Financial Fair Play regulations but also such that Rangers will never have to suffer this kind of anguish again,'' the 65-year-old Miller said. ''From now on, Rangers will live within its means - no excuses.''

Miller was competing with a supporter-backed consortium called the ''Blue Knights.'' Singaporean businessman Bill Ng also made an offer but pulled out last month.

''His approach has been consistent throughout the process and on two occasions he has stepped back from the fray to enable other parties to submit an unconditional bid,'' Clark said of the American tycoon. ''Mr. Miller's proposal can provide the opportunity for the club to return to success on and off the field.''

Rangers was last week placed under a transfer embargo, preventing the club from signing players for the next 12 months unless they are under 18.

Its already narrow hope of retaining the Scottish Premier League title were ended by a 10-point deduction that was automatically triggered by going into administration.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 02, 2012, 03:56:24 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 02, 2012, 03:42:45 PM
Nice game for Newcastle over Chelsea.

Suck it Tamas.

I can't get over that second goal. I was am still flipping out. :o  :cool:
http://youtu.be/gZRglsjuf-0
http://youtu.be/ysuQdnA2X_Y

Yeah Fredy Montero of Sounders had nice goal from 35yds out last night to boot.
Beating the Galaxy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Finally, an enjoyable Arsenal game.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

jesus fucking christ arsenal

Josephus

The FA cup final needs a manager brawl.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Didn't watch the game but kept up with the Guardian MBM. Reads like Ed wrote it:

55 min: Here comes Carroll!
GOAL!!!!! Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool (Carroll 63) Andy Carroll?! He collects the ball around eight yards out and as he fumbles about, the entire television audience is waiting for an air shot. But get this – he thumps it into the roof of the net. Brilliant finish.
66 min: My oh my, Liverpool needed that. Chelsea just needed to go through the motions to win or so it seemed and Carroll is rampant now. The strutting powerful figure who was terrific for Newcastle
71 min: This is turning into the best Cup final since West Ham-Liverpool in 2006. Carroll wins a towering header and flicks it back to Gerrard on the edge of the area but his volley is 40 yards or so over. That header by Carroll was magnificent
75 min: Carroll is running around like a big lolloping dog now
77 min: Andy Carroll is the greatest player of the last 500 years
80 min: With all the excitement over Carroll being able to play football,
90min +2 min: Carroll races into the box, he's terrifying when he bears down on the opposition. And isn't rubbish.

:lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 05, 2012, 01:19:48 PM
Didn't watch the game but kept up with the Guardian MBM. Reads like Ed wrote it:

55 min: Here comes Carroll!
GOAL!!!!! Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool (Carroll 63) Andy Carroll?! He collects the ball around eight yards out and as he fumbles about, the entire television audience is waiting for an air shot. But get this – he thumps it into the roof of the net. Brilliant finish.
66 min: My oh my, Liverpool needed that. Chelsea just needed to go through the motions to win or so it seemed and Carroll is rampant now. The strutting powerful figure who was terrific for Newcastle
71 min: This is turning into the best Cup final since West Ham-Liverpool in 2006. Carroll wins a towering header and flicks it back to Gerrard on the edge of the area but his volley is 40 yards or so over. That header by Carroll was magnificent
75 min: Carroll is running around like a big lolloping dog now
77 min: Andy Carroll is the greatest player of the last 500 years
80 min: With all the excitement over Carroll being able to play football,
90min +2 min: Carroll races into the box, he's terrifying when he bears down on the opposition. And isn't rubbish.

King Kenny didn't give him his sugar cubes before the game. And I totally missed the game.

The way it sounds, I'm not going to bother with the DV-R recording when I get back home tomorrow.  :lol:

Ed Anger

If Carroll stays with LOLiverpool, I'm gonna have so much fun next season. I'm boning up on my horse jokes.

Josephus

Not a good day to be a REds fan, on both sides of the ATlantic.

Watched Liverpool lose and then headed to BMO field to see Toronto FC lose their eighth in a row. :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011