Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Pedrito on April 26, 2012, 04:48:55 AM
The Champions League is a monstrous creature of Blatter

On that I agree.

Still, my preference would be a post-season tournament for the European clubs (tricky since season format varies, e.g. Russia using the calendar year instead of going summer => summer).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2012, 04:52:25 AM
The Champions League is a monstrous creature of Blatter, and has no dignity of existence.

Especially if Juventus FC doesn't play in it  :P

L.

So next year it'll be a glorious competition, right?  ;)
I HOPE SO  :menace:

At least I will be more interested in the loathsome group stage, that is usually useless (with some notable exceptions, see this year's APOEL advance).

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Pedrito on April 26, 2012, 05:08:30 AM
At least I will be more interested in the loathsome group stage, that is usually useless (with some notable exceptions, see this year's APOEL advance).
Winnowing out Manchester was worth it too :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2012, 04:59:21 AM
The Champions League is a monstrous creature of Blatter

On that I agree.

Still, my preference would be a post-season tournament for the European clubs (tricky since season format varies, e.g. Russia using the calendar year instead of going summer => summer).

Norway, Sweden, Iceland and Finland also don't play soccer in the winter.

For good reason

Gianfranco Zola, Gianluca Vialli, Roberto Di Matteo, Mark Hughes, Dennis Wise, Franck Leboeuf and Ed De Goey didn't like it up em when it started snowing.

The out of sync seasons have helped Rosenborg in its various successful CL seasons. We were playing at the end of the season with our players at full fitness and not distracted by other competitions. Our opponents are usually either in pre-season or burdened with three game week program.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2012, 05:19:19 AM
Gianfranco Zola, Gianluca Vialli, Roberto Di Matteo, Mark Hughes, Dennis Wise, Franck Leboeuf and Ed De Goey

:wub:

FunkMonk

I was listening to a podcast last night that pointed out that a lot of the top Spanish players seem, well, tired and burnt out, ie, Barca and RM players playing a bit labored, Silva looking jaded in Manchester City. This doesn't bode well for them in the Euros, perhaps? I mean, four years of constantly winning everything (since Euro 08) has to take a toll on the players not only physically but mentally.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

That sounds alot like a pre-emptive excuse for being knocked out in the group stage and Real and Barca not qualifying for the final.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Josephus

That was the excuse England used for their tired performance at the last world cup. :bowler:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2012, 09:29:36 AM
That was the excuse England used for their tired performance at the last world cup. :bowler:

But England doesn't win anything  :bowler: :lol:

Josephus

Watch them win the Euros this summer. There's so little expectation this time, that they may pull it off.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Real Madrid has paid 937 million Euro for transfers since they last won the Champion's League ten years ago...

Josquius

The Champions League is a monstrous creature of Blatter, and has no dignity of existence.

Especially if Juventus FC doesn't play in it  :P

L.
Yes, I have trouble caring about the CL.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Guardiola will leave Barcelona at the end of the league. Dawning of a new era, anyone?

Warspite

I wonder if Arsenal are lining up a cheeky bid for Fabregas. :D
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA