And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2012, 07:33:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2012, 09:32:17 AM
I don't think you need to be very religious to use language like 'praying' or even to try praying with what happened yesterday.  I'd say you need to be more anti-religious not to.

Indeed.

I disagree. Well, I am not a native speaker so what do I know, but to "pray" appears much more religious and not as "instinctive" as for example saying "god damn it" :P

Valdemar

Whether meant litterarily or not "pray" is a pretty strong and laden word, and not to be used lightly. Especially in Denmark where religion is traditionally a very personal and private thing such an open display is a sign of a huge shift.

It is seen as grandstanding and bad manners especially as it often comes from young star seeking wannabees more than actually sounding genuine.

So Liep is correct, from a Danish viewpoint having danish footballers suddenly "praying" for an otherwise unknown foreign player seems weird and slightly insincere.

As a contrast, a local football hero was struck by lightning during a training match a few years ago, survived, but ended up having amputated one or both lower legs, a promising carreer ended. A lot of public support from all over the fottball community. BUT NO F***** public "praying" on twitter, FB or elsewhere.

V

Josquius

Britain is big on its bandwagon displays of affection
██████
██████
██████

Valdemar

True, British are often closet catholics :D

V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on March 17, 2012, 06:07:42 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2012, 01:39:24 PM
Was watching the FA cup match between Spurs and Bolton :(

Yeah. Me too. :(

Did they show them defibbing him right there on the field, or did they cut away?
23 years old, they say he's still in a coma.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valdemar on March 19, 2012, 03:23:21 AM
Whether meant litterarily or not "pray" is a pretty strong and laden word, and not to be used lightly. Especially in Denmark where religion is traditionally a very personal and private thing such an open display is a sign of a huge shift.

It is seen as grandstanding and bad manners especially as it often comes from young star seeking wannabees more than actually sounding genuine.
Okay.  This may be a cultural difference and is perhaps odder for Danish footballers to do it.  I don't think '#pray4Muamba' or even the use of the word 'prayer' has anywhere near as much strength in England.  Phrases like 'our thoughts and prayers go to...' are very commonly used.

Also I don't think it's grandstanding, I think it's genuine concern and shock.  Even footballers probably have 'there, but for the grace of God, go I' moments.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Of course the shock must be mostly genuine - a guy in their trade who should have been as far from dying as humanly possible, being 23 years old and an athlete in one of the toughest rackets, ended up almost dying, and in a coma. This must imply to them that this could happen to any single one of them.

Valdemar

Indeed, but as I mentioned, when that lightning struck their reactions were equally shocked and worried on his behalf, and that struck far closer to home, but their reactions at the time seemed far more genuine and far less grandstanding than a twitter update using the word prayer..

I still agree with Liep that todays youth culture and access to ready mass coverage makes them seem more like they are trying to attract the right responses towards themselves than actually supporting the poor bastard.

V

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2012, 07:04:07 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 17, 2012, 06:07:42 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2012, 01:39:24 PM
Was watching the FA cup match between Spurs and Bolton :(

Yeah. Me too. :(

Did they show them defibbing him right there on the field, or did they cut away?
23 years old, they say he's still in a coma.

The cameras caught Muamba right after he collapsed and showed him face down going through what looked like some kind of epileptic fit. They cut away to show the players' and crowd's reactions as soon as they realized Muamba was going through some serious shit. The players were visibly shaken and people were crying in the stands. It was really shocking to see live.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Here's what they showed on TV. it loses its emotional impact, over time, a little bit. Watching it live was someething else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI37VW9kKWU
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Tamas

Ed Anger

I have chosen a team to follow in the Premier League.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2012, 04:56:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2012, 04:55:21 PM
I have chosen the English team to follow.
Which one?

Liverpool. Mainly to make fun of Bucky Beaver(Suarez) and Andy Carroll, the whiniest person alive.

That and their colors are RED.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive