News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2022, 09:48:48 AM
A war of conquest in Europe and UEFA acting morally, things I never thought I'd witness in my lifetime.

I am waiting for FIFA and Gianni Infantino to take a stand now.  :P

The Larch

CL final to be played in Paris.

celedhring

In less grim news, we played great yesterday, best game of the season by far. PEA has been a godsend, and Adama (who I didn't rate at tall) also been a pleasant surprise. The team finally seems to be clickining and playing recognizable football.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2022, 05:09:25 AM
CL final to be played in Paris.

Technically, in Saint-Denis, in the SdF. For a moment I thought you meant the Parc des Princes, PSG stadium.

Duque de Bragança

Europa League draw

Glasgow Rangers-Estrela Vermelha Belgrado
Braga-Mónaco
FC Porto-Lyon

Atalanta-Bayer Leverkusen
Sevilha-West Ham
Barcelona-Galatasaray
RB Lípsia-Spartak Moscovo
Bétis-Eintracht Francoforte

The bolded ones have a special relevance for me. 2004 memories, specially the Porto-Lyon game. Braga qualified through the shootout, following a 2-0 defeat in Transdniestria (!).

Is Barça in full recovery mode? If so, favourite.
2 Seville clubs in the round of 16, nice for them.

celedhring

The Polish national team has announced it doesn't intend to play Russia in the WC playoff next month. Will see what UEFA does.

HVC

It's FIFA so they'll probably call it a forfeit and give the win to Russia.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Which to be fair it is Poland saying they won't play here....
Bad move from Poland probably- they should have waited for the game to be cancelled.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on February 26, 2022, 05:06:23 AM
It's FIFA so they'll probably call it a forfeit and give the win to Russia.

The qualifiers are organized by UEFA. Not that I expect much better from them.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 26, 2022, 05:04:42 AM
The Polish national team has announced it doesn't intend to play Russia in the WC playoff next month. Will see what UEFA does.
I think they've been backed by Sweden and Czech Republic which is who they'd face.

But it's FIFA so....
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I'm a sucker for this stuff but Everton and Man City were playing today who I think are the only two Premier League teams with Ukrainian players. Man City came out in jumpers with the Ukrainian flag and "No War", Everton players each with a Ukrainian flag.

Then instead of the Premier League "anthem" Goodison played "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" (previously played for Hillsborough memorials) with a video of what's happening in Ukraine - looks like a fair numebr of Ukrainian-ish banners in the crowd too:
https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1497625837591539717?s=20&t=-7zE1W0tK3ggVYe_6YZBMw

And possibly the scousest message :lol:

Edit: Oviously not - forgot Yarmolenko at West Ham.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

This seems quite significant from Chelsea:
Statement from Club Owner Roman Abramovich

The following statement has been published...

During my nearly 20-year ownership of Chelsea FC, I have always viewed my role as a custodian of the Club, whose job it is ensuring that we are as successful as we can be today, as well as build for the future, while also playing a positive role in our communities. I have always taken decisions with the Club's best interest at heart. I remain committed to these values. That is why I am today giving trustees of Chelsea's charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC.

I believe that currently they are in the best position to look after the interests of the Club, players, staff, and fans.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2022, 01:49:37 PM
This seems quite significant from Chelsea:
Statement from Club Owner Roman Abramovich

The following statement has been published...

During my nearly 20-year ownership of Chelsea FC, I have always viewed my role as a custodian of the Club, whose job it is ensuring that we are as successful as we can be today, as well as build for the future, while also playing a positive role in our communities. I have always taken decisions with the Club's best interest at heart. I remain committed to these values. That is why I am today giving trustees of Chelsea's charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC.

I believe that currently they are in the best position to look after the interests of the Club, players, staff, and fans.

Invalidate their wins since Roman took over. Liquidate the club. Give the money to Ukrainian war widows. Everyone wins.

Also, that Rodri handball decision was shocking. Jesus Christ this officiating is absolutely shocking.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 26, 2022, 02:28:24 PM
Also, that Rodri handball decision was shocking. Jesus Christ this officiating is absolutely shocking.
It's been a disgrace <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 26, 2022, 02:28:24 PM
Invalidate their wins since Roman took over. Liquidate the club. Give the money to Ukrainian war widows. Everyone wins.

:( Do the players and fans get to live and keep their property?