News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

So its looking like Everton might be relegated.
For obvious reasons I hope not. Though would be crazy if it happens, I believe they have the second longest continuous spell in the top flight now.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Unsurprisingly, the Ukranian league has been suspended.

I don't think that the CL final will be played in St. Petersburg after all...

Syt

There's also been discussions about Gazprom being a sponsor of the next UEFA championship tournament and also being a long term sponsor of FC Schalke 04.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 05:42:10 AM
There's also been discussions about Gazprom being a sponsor of the next UEFA championship tournament and also being a long term sponsor of FC Schalke 04.

Yeah, I saw that some German media actually photoshopped Gazprom's logo away from the Schalke shirts in a match report and swapped it for a pro-Ukranian message recently.

I can't see Gazprom continuing as a UEFA sponsor either, I guess it will depend on the sanctions imposed by the EU today.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2022, 05:50:34 AM

Yeah, I saw that some German media actually photoshopped Gazprom's logo away from the Schalke shirts in a match report and swapped it for a pro-Ukranian message recently.

I can't see Gazprom continuing as a UEFA sponsor either, I guess it will depend on the sanctions imposed by the EU today.

It was BILD. Broken clock, etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Another game in jeopardy is the Russia - Poland for qualification towards the World Cup. It was meant to be played next month in Moscow, and I can't really see it taking place there, or at all.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2022, 06:57:30 AM
Another game in jeopardy is the Russia - Poland for qualification towards the World Cup. It was meant to be played next month in Moscow, and I can't really see it taking place there, or at all.
Give the win to Poland please. Its Russias decision that made playing the game difficult.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 05:55:16 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2022, 05:50:34 AM

It was BILD. Broken clock, etc.

And apparently Schalke has just announced that they're dropping Gazprom as the club's main sponsor.

celedhring

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2022, 07:04:52 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2022, 06:57:30 AM
Give the win to Poland please. Its Russias decision that made playing the game difficult.

Yeah just treat it like a Russian forfeit

The Larch

UEFA just announced that the CL final won't be played in St. Peteresburg. A new venue will be announced tomorrow.

celedhring

A war of conquest in Europe and UEFA acting morally, things I never thought I'd witness in my lifetime.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2022, 09:48:48 AM
A war of conquest in Europe and UEFA acting morally, things I never thought I'd witness in my lifetime.

The cynic in me believes they find it easy to take a stand, because they can't expect any bribes contributions from Russia any time soon.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 09:53:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2022, 09:48:48 AM

The cynic in me believes they find it easy to take a stand, because they can't expect any bribes contributions from Russia any time soon.

Well, they're on Gazprom's payroll, so they do stand to lose money here, although I guess that might be a given with the upcoming sanctions.