News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I think there was a bit of that last year about the delaying games being very inconsistently applied.

Separately the Burnley v Spurs game was snowed off and I absolutely loved Sean Dyche playing Sean Dyche before the game. "Too much snow? It's not even jumper weather yet":
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

In women's football England just beat Latvia 20-0.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Agelastus

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 30, 2021, 05:23:50 PM
In women's football England just beat Latvia 20-0.  :D

I don't think I've ever felt more sympathy for an opposing team; as a kid at school I was on the wrong side of a couple of drubbings like that (club/house competitions.) One infamous case ending with all the players who had started as forwards playing defence by the end* and vice versa**...and we still couldn't stop the goals.

Some days you just don't know what is wrong, what has gone wrong, or what is going wrong.

*all the best players of course...12 and 13 year old kids tend not to want to play defence.

**To anyone who remembers meeting me in London years ago there are no prizes for guessing where I normally played. No, I was not thinner as a kid, and lacked talent as well.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Seeing lots of full blown Benitez out calls now. Nothing has worked - we're not more solid, none of the players have improved and the fans don't like him :lol: :weep:

So we return to underwhelming-to-relegation :bleeding:

Genuinely think Moshiri might get us relegated, bankrupt - full spiral :ph34r:

Edit: True crisis club stuff tonight. A fan got onto the pitch and confronted the players. Fans were walking out after less than twenty minutes. A group stayed in the stands to the end and after the match were chanting "sack the board" at the CEO, Chair and Director of Football. Rumours the owner (who has loaned us a lot of money and is bankrolling a new stadium) is trying to sell the club. All very compustible :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Caught some of the game. My condolences  :bowler:

You did score once, at least. For Arsenal's regularly-scheduled drubbing at Anfield they barely registered a shot on target.

Liverpool are just really really hot right now, but you never know what the season will look like after Christmas. Maybe Everton will turn it around and Liverpool lose Mane, Salah, and VdV to injury for 2 months  :P

Josquius

I can't see everton going down.
But this seems to be one of those years with half a dozen teams that would go down any other year.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Just spotted on Twitter that the weekend was the 100th anniversary of the English FA's 50 year ban on women's football.

And always a reminder that the "unpopularity" of women's football was created by the men who ran the game that Boxing Day 2020 was the hundredth anniversary of a game attended by 53,000 fans at Goodison Park between a team from Preston and a team from St Helen's. It wasn't unpopular so much as just wiped out.

But the FA were concerned that "the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged" (or it might have an impact on the popularity and profitability of the men's game if both were allowed to compete equally).
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Always leave it to Arsenal to jump-start other teams' seasons and save another manager's job :bleeding:

Sheilbh

:lol: :console:

I'm going to miss Richarlison a lot when he goes to a good club :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

He's an insufferable prick, but you can't deny his talent. VAR can really kill the vibe of a game sometimes.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on December 06, 2021, 07:39:52 PM
He's an insufferable prick, but you can't deny his talent. VAR can really kill the vibe of a game sometimes.
I love him - but I fully recognise he's one of those players that you love in your team but everyone else will hate. A bit like Erik Lamela :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I was rooting for Scowly to get an offside hat trick.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 06, 2021, 03:26:18 PM
Just spotted on Twitter that the weekend was the 100th anniversary of the English FA's 50 year ban on women's football.

And always a reminder that the "unpopularity" of women's football was created by the men who ran the game that Boxing Day 2020 was the hundredth anniversary of a game attended by 53,000 fans at Goodison Park between a team from Preston and a team from St Helen's. It wasn't unpopular so much as just wiped out.

But the FA were concerned that "the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged" (or it might have an impact on the popularity and profitability of the men's game if both were allowed to compete equally).

This year I have decided for TOTALLY UNSELFISH REASONS that women's football matters more than men's.  :)

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2021, 04:37:11 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 06, 2021, 03:26:18 PM

This year I have decided for TOTALLY UNSELFISH REASONS that women's football matters more than men's.  :)

You celebrated the Ballon d'Or like crazy, then.  :lol: