News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Why was Pulisic on the bench until 68 in?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2021, 01:56:32 AM
Why was Pulisic on the bench until 68 in?

He's had a recent injury which meant he was likely deemed not fit enough to play more than 30 minutes or so by the coaching staff.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2021, 01:43:57 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2021, 07:21:57 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2021, 10:38:08 PM
Canada is all over Costa Rica. 1-0 good guys.

1-0 final.  :cool:

Terrific atmosphere ruined by a few jerks who ran onto the field with a minute left in the game.

Jerks are gonna be jerks.  I don't think anything was ruined.

Yeah...any chance of Edmonton hosting the next set of games.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2021, 07:24:39 AM

Terrific atmosphere ruined by a few jerks who ran onto the field with a minute left in the game.

I think it will have solidified those chances actually.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2021, 07:24:39 AM

I think that'd be short-sighted.  It was a great crowd, lots of people in town were talking about the game (who never talk about soccer).  We still have the Mexico game coming up.

I took a look at the schedule - Canada's next home game is Jan 30 vs USA.  So... an outdoor game in November is one thing, but January?  Taking a quick look - for 2026 World Cup the only stadiums being used are Commonwealth and BMO Field.  So are those the only options for Jan 30?  Brr...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2021, 11:14:52 AM

I took a look at the schedule - Canada's next home game is Jan 30 vs USA.  So... an outdoor game in November is one thing, but January?  Taking a quick look - for 2026 World Cup the only stadiums being used are Commonwealth and BMO Field.  So are those the only options for Jan 30?  Brr...

I don't see why those should be the only options? Canada has had WC qualification matches at indoor stadiums before.

PDH

Any game in Canada in January will be hell - timbits and coffees being thrown on the field, canadian tires burning in the stands, naked (yet polite) people wearing snowshoes and holding curling brooms chanting over and over...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Threviel

Hump me sideways, it seems that Sweden is actually standing up to Spain. Would have thought it would be 5-0 by now...

Duque de Bragança

Well, that cancelled goal in Belgrade was really important with the defeat of a bad Selecção in Lisbon.

Off to play-offs for Portugal. :(

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on November 14, 2021, 03:58:22 PM
Hump me sideways, it seems that Sweden is actually standing up to Spain. Would have thought it would be 5-0 by now...

We're theologically uncapable of scoring 5 goals in a game.

Good luck in the playoff.

celedhring

Also, Sweden's got to have something better than 40-year-old Ibrahimovic, as great as he was.

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on November 14, 2021, 05:17:39 PM
Also, Sweden's got to have something better than 40-year-old Ibrahimovic, as great as he was.

Sweden's actually got a few ok players, but the average Swedish player is on a far too low level. I'm impressed that they actually gave Spain something over the qualifiers.

Anyhow, they play what a colleague of mine called grave digger football, boring and uninteresting.

Barrister

So not sure how much in advance Team Mexico would get to Edmonton, but there's a heavy snowfall warning for tonight and into tomorrow.  Game is tomorrow night, and here's the forecast for tomorrow:

Tue, 16 Nov   Snow at times heavy ending in the afternoon then mainly cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Blowing snow in outlying areas in the morning and early in the afternoon. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 70. Temperature falling to minus 5 in the afternoon. Wind chill near minus 14. UV index 1 or low.
Night   Clear. Low minus 11.

:menace:

That wind in particular will be nasty...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Per Giove! Italy in the play-offs (tie with Northern Ireland), after Portugal. Switzerland qualified (victory vs Bulgaria).

PDH

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2021, 02:54:11 PM
That wind in particular will be nasty...

USA Soccer had an infamous snow game 8 or 9 years ago vs Costa Rica (in Denver?).  One of the Costa Rican recounts of the game said something like "It was a game for 14 minutes then it became a snowfight."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM