News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Nice to see Emile Smith Rowe receive more plaudits in the media after bossing today's game against Villa. Kid owns bones and is going to go far. Arsenal are really lucky to have two of their own playing at a high level with such huge potential going forward. Feels good to be a supporter.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

Aren't you folks like 14th?  You were before the game anyways  :P

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on October 22, 2021, 09:48:52 PM
Aren't you folks like 14th?  You were before the game anyways  :P

Early days for league standings still  :D

Realistically I think most Arsenal supporters think 6th is the absolute ceiling this season. Sad compared to the old days but it's a beginning of a really nice project full of young and likeable players. Whatever happens with Arteta, the team I think is in a good place.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2021, 04:54:09 PM
[spoiler]Rafa out[/spoiler] :ph34r: :blush:

:lol:  :hug:

I didn't see the game but I saw the score and, I mean, what else is there to say?

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2021, 04:54:09 PM
[spoiler]Rafa out[/spoiler] :ph34r: :blush:

I wish we could trade coaches, I'd give Nuno for Rafa any day of the week...

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Only thing left to do is laugh.

Hahahahahahaha  :lmfao:

Zoupa

Spurs being Spursy again today. What a bore this game was. The whole system is meant to feed Kane, but then Kane is invisible 75% of the games he plays. I don't know if he's not trying or if he plateau-ed a couple of years ago and he's on the decline. Trade him for Bernardo Silva and some cash and be done with it.

Without a move during the winter window, I see Tottenham finishing 8-10th.

Admiral Yi

Nice defending by Kane.  :lol:

Chelsea!

Josquius

I've been thinking with the Newcastle take over.

Its interesting they become the most hated team in the world, in the hands of a brutal dictator, right as it starts to become notable that top level footballers are taking an interest in progressive issues.

I wonder whether they'll have any would-be signings turn them down for moral reasons?

I can just see the makeup of their future team now....not a Brit amongst them, just a gaggle of foreign mercenaries on big wages.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Solksjaer is going to be sacked and United are going to get Conte, aren't they? Fffffffffuuuu

Liep

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 25, 2021, 08:58:30 AM
Solksjaer is going to be sacked and United are going to get Conte, aren't they? Fffffffffuuuu

Yes, it'll be interesting to see who they hire in 2023 though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on October 26, 2021, 06:15:05 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 25, 2021, 08:58:30 AM

Yes, it'll be interesting to see who they hire in 2023 though.
As we're in the banter timeline, surely the return of the Moyesiah after he gets West Ham into the Champions League :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

21 year old Aussie footballer Josh Cavallo comes out:
https://twitter.com/JoshuaCavallo/status/1453240548404367370?s=20

I think that makes him the only professional footballer in the men's game globally who is openly gay. Lots of messages of solidarity and support from clubs and famous players around the world which is nice to see.

When Spurs were playing Newcastle a lot of fans were wearing the scarf of the Spurs LGBT fans group - and I suspect that's something we will start seeing at a lot of clubs. In part because they want to beat up on Newcasle/Saudi which is fair enough, but it's also I think quite a smart and positive way to make that protest.

I've said it before - and we are miles from where we should be (which is what the women's game is like) but I think the Euros shifted things in terms of men's football and LGBT rights. I don't know if it happened everywhere and with every country, but I got that sense from at least Germany, England and the Netherlands where there were quite prominent displays of solidarity at ifferent points plus the normalisation of things like the rainbow armband. Still baby steps but something that I think is really positive.
Let's bomb Russia!