News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on October 01, 2021, 04:06:43 PM
Chile has long profited from its high altitude stadium. Canada really should have more games in the frozen North.

Bolivia, not Chile.
National Stadium of Santiago is known for other sinister reasons.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on October 01, 2021, 05:05:07 PM
The big difference between soccer and the other sports you mentioned is obvious. Soccer players barely have any gear or equipment apart from shinpads.

I'm telling you, there will be injuries. It's just not s sport meant to be played at sub zero temps.

Just wear a thermal layer underneath.  It's not the equipment that keeps you warm.

Unless there's some rule that requires bare arms and legs in international soccer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

In cold climates, some kind of heating under the grass is also needed. Probably the case for Edmonton though?

Russian stadia often have it for instance.

PS: or is it a synthetic grass pitch?  :x

Sheilbh

Can I just shock you? I like Rafa Benitez. Despite what I just said earlier.

Edit: Also I love Townsend which I never expected :blush: (I always thought Gray would be decent - but I'm very happy he's being decent for us).
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 02, 2021, 08:25:18 AM
Can I just shock you? I like Rafa Benitez. Despite what I just said earlier.

Edit: Also I love Townsend which I never expected :blush: (I always thought Gray would be decent - but I'm very happy he's being decent for us).

Love it  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Football is mad.
Mid week game - Sunderland whop mid table team 5-0 and look on a totally different level.
Today... Looks like we are losing 4-0 against another mediocre team.
Sigh.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 01, 2021, 06:50:04 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 01, 2021, 04:06:43 PM
Chile has long profited from its high altitude stadium. Canada really should have more games in the frozen North.

Bolivia, not Chile.
National Stadium of Santiago is known for other sinister reasons.

And Mexico.  Azteca Stadium is some 2200m above sea level.

This can definatetly be an advantage for Canada. As Beeb said, they may not train in those conditions, but, they will be used to the biting cold. MLS games are sometimes played in freezing cold so it's not unusual. There was a notorious Toronto game in Colorado some three years ago when the temp was 3F.(-16C). So it's doable. It will be fucking cold in the stands, though. But go for it, Beeb, it will be fun if nothing else.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Really interesting reporting/issues on implementing a vaccine mandate in the Premier League - apparently (which is not surprising) there's a lot of conspiracy theory stuff circulating in dressing rooms. From what I've read these are often spread by older/senior players, at Everton Delph had some questionable Instagram posts about the vaccine (to go along with his questionable performances <_<).

I also think there is a thing of very fit people especially fitness freaks being a bit resistant to the very idea of getting jabbed. But apparently only about 50% of Premier League players have been vaccinated which is causing issues in terms of bubbles and the league's protocols on covid. I assume that's why they're considering mandating it.

I was just wondering has this been an issue in other countries' leagues or other sports - there's a lot that doesn't surprise me about it but it is still very weird. It seems important, especially as we're heading into another FIFA-mandated covid mixer/international break.

Having said that - Klopp was very good when asked about the vaccine.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

So the NBA mandated vaccines, and some people were holding out. Canadian star Andrew Wiggins was taking a public stand - but stood to lose pay and ability to play a number of games - and eventually relented. In the NHL, Josh Archibald of the Edmonton Oilers refused to get his vaccination and is now out with Covid (which could be career ending).

Sheilbh

We've had several players out with covid - generally they've been okay as you'd expect with young people.

But Newcastle had a really bad outbreak last year, several games had to be postponed, and a number of players like Saint-Maximin and Lascelles took a long time to recover. I think Karl Darlow who's their backup keeper was hospitallised and has since done things encouraging people to get the vaccine.

I think that was all pre-vaccine, but I can't remember exactly when it was.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Looks like the Saudi effort at sportswashing via Newcastle is back on.

Josquius

QuoteI also think there is a thing of very fit people especially fitness freaks being a bit resistant to the very idea of getting jabbed. But apparently only about 50% of Premier League players have been vaccinated which is causing issues in terms of bubbles and the league's protocols on covid. I assume that's why they're considering mandating it.

Yeah. Saw this a few months ago with my cousin.
Really surprised and sad it's with footballers too. Their health obsession being managed by actual experts and being about actual health rather than looking the way they want.
Wonder if the anti vaxers got into the heads of some sports science types in football? - does seem a good tactic to try, crack them to crack the footballers to crack vast swathes of the country.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 05, 2021, 01:24:30 PM
So the NBA mandated vaccines, and some people were holding out. Canadian star Andrew Wiggins was taking a public stand - but stood to lose pay and ability to play a number of games - and eventually relented. In the NHL, Josh Archibald of the Edmonton Oilers refused to get his vaccination and is now out with Covid (which could be career ending).

Archibald doesn't have Covid - rather that the start-of-season testing revealed he previously had Covid, and that he has myocarditis (inflammation of the heart tissue) which is a known risk of Covid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2021, 04:40:18 PM
Archibald doesn't have Covid - rather that the start-of-season testing revealed he previously had Covid, and that he has myocarditis (inflammation of the heart tissue) which is a known risk of Covid.

Right-o.

FunkMonk

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/07/newcastle-confirm-300m-saudi-backed-takeover-to-end-mike-ashley-era

Looks like it's done now.

It took Manchester City several years from oil sheikh takeover to winning the league. How long will it take Newcastle? :hmm: